AOUT not working on upgrade

creatorlars

Hi Midibox community! It has been a couple of years since I have been actively using my SEQ4, life has been busy. I was really pleasantly surprised to return and find all the awesome new features that have been added! I upgraded my SEQ4 today (STM32 core), but now my AOUT board is not putting out CV at all. All the 8x gate outputs are working fine. I have the correct board (AOUT) selected from the CV configuration page. I haven't looked inside, but I was using the CV outs immediately before the upgrade, so I suspect it's not a hardware issue. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

Lars

Welcome back! :)

The change in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file is obsolete, all parameters can now be configured during runtime in the CV configuration page:

cv1.gif

in addition, CV channels can be calibrated from there.

However, as you wrote you already found this page, therefore I guess that it's related to an interconnection problem.

According to this schematic: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq/mbseq_v4_interconnections.pdf it's important that a 4x1k resistor array is stuffed for J19 - other resistor values might lead to an unstable communication.

If this is already the case, then you could use an inbuilt diagnosis feature of the MBSEQ firmware: just type "testaoutpin" in the MIOS terminal and follow the instructions - it will allow to set AOUT:J1 pins to logic-0 and logic-1, the resulting voltage level can be measured with a multimeter - maybe two pins are swapped?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the reply TK!

I will run the tests and see what I find out. The last time I updated my SEQ4 firmware was probably around October or November of 2009, if that helps diagnose anything that may have happened between now and then. A few weeks ago, I finally installed the AOUT board and everything has been working great, until right before the update. I'll let you know what I find out after running the tests.

Okay, I investigated this further.

Using the testaoutpin function in MIOS terminal, the cs, si, and sc connections all test OK switching from logic 1 to logic 0 with the meter, at the input pins on the DAC chips. Logic 0 appears to be something like 0.1V rather than 0.4V and the sc signal is 5V rather than 4V. Those still seem like valid logic signals, but maybe there's something I don't know. Testing resistance with the meter, R32 is 1K values and connected the right way around, so no problems there.

I'm going to revert to some older versions of the firmware and see if my AOUT starts working again and will report back. Thanks!

Lars

Okay, further investigation reveals that I am getting SOME response from the outputs, but not at all as desired.

AOUT Ch. 2 is changing my AOUT board's CV output 1 from ~5.25V to ~10.8V (max & min values from calibration menu).

AOUT Ch. 4 is changing my AOUT board's CV output 2 from ~5.25V to ~10.8V.

CV output 3 is stuck at maximum voltage and will not change (~10.8V)

CV output 4 is stuck at minimum voltage and will not change (~5.25V)

CV output 5 is stuck at -0.6V and will note change (??)

AOUT Ch. 8 is changing my AOUT board's CV output 6 from ~5.25V to ~10.8V.

CV output 7 is stuck at maximum voltage and will not change (~10.8V)

CV output 8 is stuck at minimum voltage and will not change (~5.25V)

So it looks like something scrambled here! Again, I confirmed proper logic 0 and 1 levels at the DAC/IC1 pins 8, 9 and 10 directly.

I've searched the site and can't find any earlier firmware version compiled .hex files to download and test with. Any help letting me know what I should try next would be greatly appreciated!

I'm very sorry to keep spamming this thread, but I want to make sure you have all the info I can find about this issue.

I found an old copy of MBSEQ4 beta 12 on my hard drive from way back. After restoring that, the AOUT works perfectly fine. So this definitely seems like a firmware issue of some kind.

I am not an AOUT user myself (yet), but it sounds like some kind of incompatibility to me. I would try to update MIOS to the latest version first, and then go with the latest MBSEQ V4 version only after that has uploaded successfully.

I did try that (uploading to the most recent bootloader, and then the latest seq4 program again.)

MBHP_AOUT module should work again with v4.060:

I'm really sorry for the trouble!

Again I was too lazy to test all modes before a release, after I tweaked the MBHP_AOUT_NG module configuration for another user to get him happy.

Best Regards, Thorsten.