Lasercut Acrylic Case+ Frontpanel for SEQv4

smokestacksproductions

Hello,

I have converted wilba's seqv3/v4 frontpanel layout for laser cut acrylic. I have also added interlocking sides and bottom to make a sammich-style enclosure. It is all laid out on a P3 sized template for ordering from ponoko. This template is designed for 3mm laser-cut acrylic and the cost for standard colors (making and material included) is less than $50.00! It's about $10.00 more for matte finish (which is what I have ordered)

I have attached the necessary files in case they may be helpful to someone else who wants a low-cost enclosure/panel for their MBseq.

*Note - (you should alter the rear panel cutouts to match your core, and expansions)

Later I will post a diagram and a list of the spacers required to assemble this enclosure. With the right hardware, I believe this case will be quite sturdy (considering the size of the entire unit and the fact that it is cut from acrylic and not aluminum) I will post pictures and feedback once I have assembled the case. The ponoko site says their current turnaround for laser cut orders is approx. 2 weeks, so I'll update this post when my order arrives.

.eps for illustrator and .svg for freeware vector art programs are both contained in this .rar archive, you can download these and modify them, the .jpg attached to this post is simply for visualization purposes, while the vector files in the .rar archive are formatted with the proper colors for cutouts and engraving (ponoko)

Enjoy!

Quick View: post-11104-0-85962600-1345580267_thumb.j

and the vector files: enclosure.rar

Nice! was converting the layout easy? I want to make one for the 9090 too.. Been waiting tooooo long for my panels, and these are much less expensive.

1. Open the .fpd file in frontpanel designer (the free app from frontpanel express)

2. Export as .svg

3. Open .svg in illustrator or other vector art software

4. Paste on to Ponoko Template

5. Change line color to correspond with desired cutting/engraving setting, modify dimensions and etc.

That's all there is to it.

BTW, I used a free web-based app call Box Maker to generate the interlocking edges of the enclosure:

http://boxmaker.rahulbotics.com/ - you enter your desired dimensions and it generates the six sides for you. - You can even specify the amount of material that is vaporized by the laser when cutting, and the software will automatically compensate for this to make sure all your joints are very snug. It's really important to use this feature if the enclosure will be held together by friction and standoffs (as opposed to the t-nut cutouts on a Shruthi Case)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any more info on this one. Would love to see some more pics of the completed unit. If you could describe what files you need to send where, i.e. how to order it, that would be an awesome help too. I have no idea having never done it before?

Thanks! :D

Cheers,

Arkay.

Any more info on this one. Would love to see some more pics of the completed unit. If you could describe what files you need to send where, i.e. how to order it, that would be an awesome help too. I have no idea having never done it before?

Thanks! :D

Cheers,

Arkay.

The spacers needed are as follows:

50mm from bottom to wilba PCB (I used two 25mm stacked)

10mm from wilba pcb to top

The Wilba PCB is about 1mm thick, so for the six holes around the outer edge, you will use 11mm standoffs on top of the 50mm standoffs so that they are all the same height.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice design Smokestack!

Any more direction on hardware that you can offer?:

-What standoffs did you use to mount the Core? What hardware did you use to 'sammich' the enclosure together? LCDs?

You'd mentioned a diagram in your first post that would illustrate these things; any progress on that? (I could put it together for you if you PM'd me a hand sketch...everybody's busy ;)

Have fun.