Fader design advice

Lambolico

Hello!

I'm planning the design of my future Midibox dj controller. Here I attach the scheme of it. All the circles represent encoders, except the one with a small vertical line inside, which is a potentiometer. Circles with dots inside are detented encoders. All the encoders have built-in push-button.

Well, my question here is about the faders. To be precise, I'm concerned about dust. My previous experience was with one M-audio Torq Xponent, which has normal contact faders. I used it in an intimate outdoor gig in my college, it was on a sand/dust area. The result was that the next day the faders felt very bad when I used them. I tried to clean them and now they are still usable, but they will never be as smooth as once were.

My original design for this project used just 12 faders and a lot more of rotary pots. So I first thought to build diy contact-less faders with some kind of optical or magnetic sensor. However, since I redefined my project and added so much faders I'm not sure if it will increase the total cost over the feasible range.

So I ask you about your opinion, experience, advise, ideas....especially if some of you have tried diy contactless faders before. Every opinion will be welcome.

Best regards.

Edited by Lambolico

• 3 weeks later...