Hill Diver

Hawkeye

Hola,

here is some Polivoks + MB6582 live action :) (SIDs start at 00:50).

That filter nicely increases the rawness of the SID sounds, a highly recommended build and quite cheap (google bareille polivoks schematics!).

(also some flying close to the limits in the bavarian alps, what a fun day it was :D)

Many greets and thanks for listening!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye
  • Like 1

Thanks! :-) It is a stereo build - a little bit imperfect, because the stereo potentiometers do not deliver the exact same resistance at every pot position, but that only adds to the charme of the filter :-). It is easy to build and the components are really cheap... it might sound even a little bit more raw, if you can source the original russian parts from somewhere :-).

Many greets!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Thanks Antonio,

the Polivoks filter was originally recommended by Jojjelito and its characteristics fit really well with the SID sound, maybe even more with your 6581-based even more dirty MB6582 :)

Filtering bass sounds with quite closed filter but fairly high resonance is nothing short of spectacular :D !

Many greets!

Peter

Is this where you grabbed the board design from perchance? I'd love to build one of these filters as I think it might sound really nice with both my GameBoys and (as you have already proven) MBSID. But I, too, would want a custom layout and wanted to use a schematic I knew was proven :)

Hey there,

it is this design:

http://m.bareille.fr...cf_polivoks.htm

In the clone schematics, some opamps miss the +15v/-15v supply, but it is clear that they need them just as the others, so no problem in building it :-).

I also used a 10uF tantal instead of 1uF on C6 (low-pass filter section), after a bit of testing I liked it best.

Btw. a +12v/-12v bipolar supply should work, too, so you can reuse any MBFM PSU... there is no high current draw...

I really think, it would fit great with the gameboy sound or any other rather lo-fi sound source such as the NES, too - just add a nice delay pedal after it, and you are good to go... :-)

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Aha ok that was the other link I found, though I just now found the PDF schems on that page, oops :) The other link has an Eagle layout already so I may compare the two and see. If the Eagle one is the same, it'd save me a bit of work :)

Re GB/NES, I think most any chip-synth will sound so kick-ass with delay :) Just need to find a MIDI sync'd delay pedal/effect box so we don't have to dial in delay manually. I'd also like an analog style one (though in reading even a lot of the analog ones still use some digital trickery?). I wanted to avoid using multiple GameBoys but we may have to in order to have delay on leads while not having it on drums.

I'm getting a tad bit off-topic (a tad unfair since this topic should be about your very kick-ass song) but with 2 GB's we can multi-track in a Live setting as if we had one by splitting the stereo for each one. We just don't have a big enough mixer to handle all those inputs :)

I use a sammichFM so I don't have a usable bipolar supply yet, but that will end up going in our live rack so that won't be a problem. +/- 15V is generally better than +/- 12V if given the option?

You can quite easily bring down +15V/0/-15V to +12V/0/-12V with Vregs or diodes, so it is the more universal supply, yes... Also most modular modules use it as a standard, so it is ok to build one like that :)

Regarding analog delays, got one on my build list, will start it, after the summer is gone... (it is fully analog, no midi dealy sync trickery, though, but it is nice to dial in slightly-off-sync delays anyways :))

After listening to many demos and comparisons, i decided their sound really beats the digital delays, but there are also substantial differences between fully analog delays - more info

Many greets,

Peter

Ah yeah forgot about that post! I have looked at it and it looks really intriguing. Lack of MIDI sync is a slight bummer since everything else is sync'd but yeah won't be that bad. My band-mate already has a pedal board we can use for delay until I build a proper one as well.

I think I'm going to run out of spaces in my live rack though :P

Hm, dunno - i´ve only tested the CV1 input for the filter frequency, which worked very nicely even for high LFO rates...

With a bit of experimentation it should be doable to create a CV input for Q...

Hehe, also just found this thread where MIDIbox forum member sneakthief writes about his Polivoks build - small world :)

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-267945.html

Many greets,

Peter

Well the schematics that had both the pot and CV just had some resistor magic it looked like. So I thought I would copy those over. That said, I should probably stay focused on the bare essentials for my live rack first :) Need to finish my ArduinoBoy rack thing, build the MBSEQ, the PSU, and then rackmount versions of the MBFM and MBSID. After that, need some effect units (mostly for vocals) and THEN hopefully I'll get to work on filters and delay :)

In the clone schematics, some opamps miss the +15v/-15v supply, but it is clear that they need them just as the others

Hi Peter,

I see no fault in the opamp part of the schematics; if you look at the pin numbering the schematic uses dual opamp ICs (U1a and U1b for example are 1 IC) and these have only 2 supply pins for both the opamps.

Cheers, Alex.

Hi Alex,

thanks a lot for the clarification! :-)

It all makes perfect sense now, I treated the TL072 dual-op-amps, which were correctly marked e.g. as U5:A and U5:B in the schem as two single-op-amps and was wondering why one of the pair was not connected to power...

Hehe. Great, the schematics are all perfect then! :)

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye