GM 5x5x5 19" Case Design Competition

technobreath

Since a lot of the designs here try to work around the issue of the gm5x5x5 being suboptimal for a rackmount unit, let he humbly offer my lowly PCB expertise :) If one of you guys comes up with a really nice design for a unit, I'll gladly rework the gm5x5x5 pcb to make it work with that setup. :flowers:

@nILS - I don't think the problem is in the design of the board... it's a very elegant design. The problem is in trying to fit the sheer number of connectors on the back panel.

The obvious answer, that people seem to be avoiding is to use the facility you have provided (header pins) and mount the connectors off-board, for example, on a daughter board. There's no reason why this arrangement should be any less stable, physically, than having the connectors mounted on the GM5x5x5 board itself, and allows the user slightly more flexibility on the aesthetic layout of the panel. Personally I prefer to have all my inputs grouped together, likewise the outputs.

As for the problem of fitting 2 boards in the case, with the connectors mounted off-board, the 2 PCBs can be stacked 1 on top of the other without any problems. A USB hub could be stripped out of it's case and fitted internally, thus providing a single USB connection on the rear panel.

BTW if I were to mount the USB connector off-board, which pins are the D+/D- ? I see the 5V and GND pins are marked.

Finally.. Well done on such a successful and versatile board :frantics:

Edited by artyman

i don't see any problems with the board either. all components can be wired off board 1:1

in the rack situation i prefer panel mounted components over pcb mounted anyway, and if you like to make it as small as it can get the board as is is just perfect

I thinking something in a 2U 19" case with all the connector on front and some transparent glasses showing the 2 pcb (To promote the Nils good job) Maybe led illuminated ! i will think about that ! When the competition will finish ? i have not the board yet ! :flowers:

Edit : Finnaly i do something in 5min, and he looks like so nice for me !

gallery_9818_150_9113.jpg

Edit 2 :

I'm thinking about another thing :

It will be possible to had a little powered usb hub inside the case, so we could connect the 2 pcb on it and have only one USB Type B port on face(More useful and fashion :D ) and also a power switch to put it off properly ?

Edit 3 :

I was thinking about the USB hub and why just use it for the GM5x5x5 ? i mean, i will try to integrate a self powered USB hub, to power things such as the SEQV4 or others things.

Edited by Lamouette

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe a bit late for the competition, but here's my fresh cutted box. 

If someone wants the inkscape, svg or dxf files to make your own, or just order this box at formulor.de or ponoko.com, send me a PM. I wanted to attach the files to this message but I don't know how to.

Cheers,

Roel