trouble

Napalmtree

So I figured I'd save up and lump my troubles in case they're linked.

Firstly, the LCD only shows characters on the top row. All connections tested fine. Triple checked connection routes.

Second, stereo Sid off one core. I rigged the wires to go to both Sid modules in the same fashion and have them outputting to the left and right channels. How does the core determine left and right?

Third, filters appear to be working to some extent. They're the 6581s and I have 12V power running directly to each module, but most 6581 patches are dead silent. I kind of expected this getting these, but if anyone know a trick to get the filters fully functional I am all ears. They work slightly better since I took the vregs off.

Fourth, my 8 banksticks appear as 1. It kept formatting and restarting without formatting for about an hour and a half before resuming normal function.

Lastly, the select buttons appear to work judging from the top row of the offs functionality. But parameters don't appear to be editing at all.

so i did a j14 to one the other is connected to the normal SO spot and they both are working on the left channel but panned to the right go silent. Doesn't seem correct. also so looked up 4-bit lcd 1k resistor CAN setup with 4 empty data spots? I'm guessing the CAN with 1k resistor is for the optional CAN bus and not necessary so I'll snip the 4 data wires see if that don't fix it. Did nothing at all.

Edited by Napalmtree

For the Stereo problem, you need to do this: http://ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf

Bear in mind that (at least on smashTV's PCBs), on the SID Module, only the 4 pins of each row of the J2 are used, yet it is a 5x2 header, so, it's not the outer (last) wire of the ribbon that has to be cut and connected to J14 of the Core Module, but the third from last ;)

I have that set except the bit that I'm using a 12V 1A DC, since no C64 power supply. No ribbons cables being used just straight wire soldered from one hole to another. One at a time. I have the 12V lines running directly to the SIDs J1 and Core J1, the core has a Vreg to burn it down to 5V the SIDs don't need it, everything else is just as is as the schematic except I have the 5V Vs and Vc connected. Maybe the panning issues have to do with my output wiring. I just attached the +'s to each channel and the -'s to the ground on the 1/4 inch jack. Also, jumpering J4 doesn't do anything. I will try detaching the 5V Vs and Vc from the core and see if that helps. I saw in other posts people were successful with running just 12V lines to the J1 for power needs.

Also, for more info on my LCD issue http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/UMSH-3267MD-UB.pdf this is my LCD data sheet. It doesn't make use of the contrast pots or anything the display has its own brightness switches. Everything works fine on the first line of the display. The second line was displaying some garbage when I had it even more miswired a few months ago. I don't understand where the 1K resistor from the core's D3 is supposed to route to. Is it supposed to route to J2? oops just had to lurk moar

Anyhow didn't help the situation. :( Maybe I need to get a different/new LCD?

Also, I changed cursor position from 0x40 to 0x20 on line two in the setup_6581.asm and still nothing.

I think the data sheet implies that it only operates in 8-bit mode. that must be my problem. time to get a new Lcd. :/

Edited by Napalmtree