Do you use a fan in your MB-6582?

verpeiler

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is a fan required for cooling a MB-6582?

I'm asking all the builders who already finished and used their MB-6582 whether an actively cooling fan is required in the Pactec PT-10 or not. I'm not asking if it "looks cool", rather than is it really needed to avoid overheating SIDs.

My plan is to use heat spreaders (like Hawkey) in combination with ventilation slots below the voltage regulators (seen on pics from Wilba) and use the backpanel space (where the fan was intended) for additional 6.3mm audio-in and the mix-out jack.

No problem here so far without fan, and it is in use every other day ;-). Methinks the 8580/6582s run a bit cooler anyways, the 6581 might require a fan.

The 6.3mm stereo mix audio-out jack is highly recommended, two cheap 3.5mm ones broke down after a few months of use...

Have lots of fun building it! :-)

Bye,

Peter

Probably the fan is not really necessary but the heatsink surely helps to maintain at low the temperature

of the SIDs.

6581 gets very hot especially in the center so , I think , it is better to use heatsinks.

...hoping it helps to give it long life

Hi,

in my mb6582 there is a fan running, as the sids are getting hot. I am using 6582er Sids and they are getting too hot if you ask me. I have also drilled some holes in the bottom part of the case near the voltage regulators in order to create a stream from there to the fan. That works very well. I can also switch off the fan with a switch.

Cheers

orange

and the heat sinks are not very helpful, as the heat is kept in the enclosure without a running fan. On the other hand the sids are quite robust and can cater with some heat.....

@Orange... hm, my SIDs don´t get hot at all, barely warm, when touching the SID heatsinks through the "fan case opening".

But that might be because the MB6582 is mounted in a 45-degree angle and the case was drilled quite a few times in the "bottom" to get fresh air...

The warmer air can then naturally flow upwards out through the fan opening...

Thanks guys for your feedback! In the meantime I ordered panels at Schaeffer. I'm going to try it first with four 1mm thick ventilation slots and no fan opening, see attached picture.

Other builders are also welcome to vote in this poll, I think this is interesting. :)

Thanks again!

verpeiler

Edit: We need a new "Thermometer" module, called MB_THERM. :D

post-5361-0-17402900-1348012414_thumb.jp

Edited by verpeiler

@orange: do you have problems with noise @ the audio output?

You may have seen pictures of my "mean green machine" ?!? Actually the fan doesn't generate noise in the audio path but you can hear it. I have changed the layout of the rear panel in order to integrate a switch. For recording purposes I can switch off the fan, just in case. But I usually let the fan do his job, and this keeps the sids really cool !

On my first MB6582 (red devil) I used those heat sinks in combination with a fan:

Device01.jpg

15.jpg

On my second MB6582 (mean green machine) I didn't use heat sinks at all, just the fan:

10.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by orange_hand

@orange: Of cause I've seen her :) The switch idea is really nice, I like it. But a fan which generates noise in the audio path doesn't make sense. And as two members are reporting problems, I'm asking myself whether I should save the 10 EUR for a better purpose. Or do you think it's just the Sunon fan that works well? In contrast to the other fans which will generate noise...? Could that be the solution to the problem here?

I've tried a bunch of fans, both 12V and 5V powered and they all do it in some degree. The best way to deal with it is a bunch of capacitors on the power line of the fan (100n ceramic followed by a 10uF and 470 uF electolytics pretty much silenced mine)

Edited by Altitude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I will install heat sinks on the SIDs. Just to be nice to them.

Does that make sense ? Without a fan the heat will stay in the enclosure and additional heat sinks won't help a lot.... But a fan in combination with some holes underneath the PCB (where the voltage regulators are located) will help ! I tried the three ways: no heat sink, heat sink and fan. The latter is the most efficient way to keep the temperature on a low level.

It takes more energy to heat the SID plus the heatsink than the SID only.

Absolutely agreed. At some point, I will just have to measure the SID heatsink temperatures in my case with eight 8580s, without fan, but with a good amount of ventilation slots...just out of pure interest, not to put oil in the fire :)

• 2 years later...