AC Sensorizer Glove

sneakthief

I'm in the process of forking Audiocommander's fantastic AC Sensorizer project.

I want to be able to trigger notes in order to play repeatable melodies. If I'm playing a chromatic scale, I can play 4 consecutive notes. If I change the spread with a quick flick of my wrist, those four notes could then become 3rds or 5ths. Or if I hold down a note while flicking my wrist in Z-axis, it would instead play a chord.

All notes can be processed by the Sensorizer's scale quantizer, meaning that those notes could all be pentatonic, Indian Ragga, Balinese Gamelan, whatever. I have 143 different scales programmed so far.

glove.jpg

1. Hardware:

- PIC18F4620

- Spectra Symbol Flex Sensor

- IDG500 + ADXL 335 "5 Degrees of Freedom" accelerometer and dual gyro (analog X,Y,Z,pitch,roll sensor)

2. First prototype using only the flex sensor:

3. Second prototype with SMD PIC core and proper, super-thin glove:

glovetest1b.jpg

Edited by sneakthief

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya,

I just saw this post for the first time and followed the link to sneakthief.com looking for more info,is any more info available either in here or at another site?

EDIT A bit more effort on my part got me here for any one else interested http://www.audiocomm...egory/software/ the internetz makes me lazeeeee

EDIT 2 With a bit more scrambling takes me back here to http://www.midibox.o...acsensorizer_04

EDIT 3 Interesting info here that could be used (I think) http://en.wikipedia....puter_interface this info leads me to thinking that their is hope for two friends of mine,one with cerebral palsy and one with multipal scelrosis,I am thinking of thought controlled prosthetics,wheel chairs,exo skeletons etc,the possibilities are endless,it may seem like I am just going over common knowledge but to me this is all exciting and new and is the direction I would like to follow.

Hmm scratches chin and decides to go looking for the things you put on your head to control the pc with.......this could get very interesting or lead to another mental breakdown/reset.

Should I create a new topic instead of editing this reply two million times?................or even just go away...lol.

EDIT4 Ah well http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/scitech/release.cfm?ArticleID=2475 still very interesting though and something I intend to follow

Does any one know how to reset brainz?

thanks in advance

cheers

Paul

Edited by taximan

• 1 month later...

@Taximan: Step 1 - define specific your needs and parameters. That will help you the most with this kind of project.

UPDATE

Prototype 2 is finished.

This is the build process of the glove itself. I used headphone wire inside because each strand is coated with plastic and there's a strong nylon thread core. Hopefully it'll stand up to gigging!

gloveb1a.jpg

gloveb2a.jpg

gloveb3a.jpg

gloveb4a.jpg

gloveb5a.jpg

gloveb6a.jpg

gloveb7a.jpg

gloveb8a.jpg

gloveb9a.jpg

Edited by sneakthief

So here's a first test of my visuals setup.

I whipped up something quick in Java using Processing.org. A pico-laser projector is mounted a couple of feet in front of me:

This first set of image fragments is subtle... still experimenting with images and learning how to play this crazy instrument:

• 2 weeks later...

@Taximan: Step 1 - define specific your needs and parameters. That will help you the most with this kind of project.

Hiya,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you but I couldn't find the thread.duh.

It's hard for me to define needs and such at the moment but as a starter I would pretty much just clone what you have done then let the ideas loose and see what happens.

great project though.

cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Testing switchable note "spreads", accelerometer-controlled filters and gestures which "throw" octaves up and down:

I'm going to debut this whole setup in Berlin this Saturday (15.12.2012 - http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?429594 ) and will be touring in these cities starting in December...

15.12 berlin

19.12 ljubljana

22.12 belgrade

28.12 niš

29.12 sarajevo

4.1 zagreb

8.2 moscow

neuroplayer-tour-2012-final2.png

OK, finally got to test this out for real.

I was way outside of my comfort zone and completely overwhelmed by all the new things I had to keep track of and the musical decisions I needed to make.

As such, I need to concentrate more on MEANINGFUL melodic improvisation as well as proper musical passages that I can easily recall... you know, like a traditional instrument ;)

Technically everything went OK. Looking forward to implementing my body-tracking system so the images stay on me as I move and I'll be able to loosen up more.

OK, finally got to test this out for real.

I was way outside of my comfort zone and completely overwhelmed by all the new things I had to keep track of and the musical decisions I needed to make.

As such, I need to concentrate more on MEANINGFUL melodic improvisation as well as proper musical passages that I can easily recall... you know, like a traditional instrument ;)

Technically everything went OK. Looking forward to implementing my body-tracking system so the images stay on me as I move and I'll be able to loosen up more.

Wow, that is so next-level, love it! :)

• 3 months later...

With a little delay and after a long time of absence from this forum I found this thread too.

I like the glove. It is a very interesting concept.

Isn't it very difficult play ambitious rhythmically patterns this way with thumb and opposed fingers?

Did you know the Guidonian Hand? --> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Guidonian_hand.jpg

Guido d'Arezzo was one of the first western music pedagogist, he invented it in 11. century as a learning aid for young musicians. So your nick isn't only a nick :shocked: .

Hey Clem!,

What I did here is definitely not new, but part of a long tradition of hand-oriented instruments. I researched various gestural interfaces and came up with something that fit the dexterity of my hand and felt as intuitive as possible for my purposes. It's also a lot smaller to bring to gigs than a keyboard or guitar ;)

4 fingers triggering 8 notes against an opposing feels very fluid, especially when you optimize the note-layout to thirds, fifths, etc. Complicated rhythms aren't so difficult. Whatever articulation that's lost from having to have all my fingers hit the thumb to trigger notes is fully offset by a myriad of interesting and more natural strumming possibilities that are otherwise impossible on a finger-drumpad.

The original layout has changed and this has setup proven to be more efficient:

glove2.png

Re. "Sneak-Thief" - I chose this artist name 15 years ago because my musical influences are subtly stolen from all over ;)

Edited by sneakthief