MBSeq desktop panel dimensions query (i cant make it work, and i dont understand why!)

julianf

So, im trying to cut some test panels for the 17" desktop case.

Wilba's 19" panels were 132.08mm high (ie 3u - 1u being 1.75", less a fraction on each edge for clearance) - no problem there.

Wilba's design for the desktop case gave the front of the panel as 133.881mm with the profiling at the edges in addition to this - i can see no issue there either (5.25 inches = 133.35 millimetres)

...however

Ive just picked slid the remains of a 19" mbseq panel into the top of the desktop enclosure, and it needs to be larger. By almost 3mm??

Going by my figures above, this would mean it would need to be more like 135mm high - ie probably 2mm greater than 3u size.

So, where is the error? The case is hard to get precise measurements from, as the rails 'rock' changing the space, but im just confused. Often things are not as they say on the datasheets, but 2mm is a large difference, so am i overlooking something somewhere?

Thank you,

Julian

Hi Juilian,

Nice to see you around again.

The one that you made for me measures 132.11 mm tall on the exposed (black) surface. if you include the "flutes" on the top and bottom edges that slide into the rails the over all measurement is 135.55 mm, if my old beat-up digital caliper is to be believed.

mine fits perfectly. hope that helps...

Gtx

Edited by gtxdude

Thanks for that.

I just dont understand it.

I have a 19" panel here, that ive just measured -

131.88, which is 1/10 of a mm slim on both edges, so 1/5th of a mm down overall.

If i lay this in the case that i have here theres *about* a 2mm gap.

If i then just get the case, by itself, and 'tilt' the rails so as theyre at the correct angle, and measure the gap, i get 134.6mm on the top (ie not including the profile grooves)

134.6 minus the 131.88 that i measured the panel to be actually gives 2.72mm, which i guess ties in with my visual "about 2mm" gap that i see when i lay the 19" panel in place.

So all this is telling me that a panel to fit the case i purchased from one of the group buys (specifically for measuring - i have not built a mbseq myself!) should be just over 134mm in height, on its visible surface.

But 5.25 inches = 133.35 millimetres so that's over 1mm out. Or 1/2 mm on each edge.

I guess this could be taken up by the rails tilting slightly? Maybe im just being too fussy. I guess a half mm doesnt look that much. Do you think there could be 0.5 mm of groove either side on your 'cut to datasheet dimensions' panel?

As a side not from all of this - the mb6582 panel i cut for people are not, and never have been to datasheet specification. They're larger than spec. Which means that they fit the pactec case nicely : ) If you cut them to the dimensions given on the datasheet the y-axis is a bit on the slim side, and creates a groove between the panel and the case. Sure, its no big deal, but its nicer to get it right : )

Right, ive just redrawn the panel in CAD, messed about with spread sheets, and datasheets, etc, and, after all that, it dawned on me that theres a nice simple way to take a physical measurement after all!

So, in conclusion -

Assuming all cases match my one (which i think is a fair assumption) i will be cutting the top panels to a 134.8mm dimension in the visible y-axis : )

Nice! Looking forward! :)

Thank you, i appreciate your patience - but at least you know im working on it : )

My main machines engraving spindle is at a re-builders at present - i have a couple of pre-engraved panels to mill at the start of the week, and then some outstanding work as soon as the engraving head comes back, but, assuming i can clear the delayed works, i hope to get back on with the mbseq testing in the 2nd half of the coming week.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now cut a test panel for the mbseq.

I have only cut the top so far, but i am very happy with the result. I took 'real life' measurements of the case and cut to those measurements (which differ slightly from the datasheet / wilba's fpd) - i am very happy with the fit of the top panel. It is a much firmer fit than it would have otherwise been.

I have not yet cut the rear panel.

All the mb6582 panels i cut are also not cut to the datasheet. If you measure my panels, they are larger than the datasheet dimensions. Cutting the mb6582 panels to the datasheet dimensions leaves a gap at the top or the bottom of the panel!

This is exactly why i purchased one of the 17" desktop cases - as you can not always trust datasheet dimensions!

I will take a photo of the top plate tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...