SID 8550 R5 ?!

RyuX

Ok.. as far as i know, they are working, all the patches are playing fine, but still i am not sure if they are working like a 8580R5..

If anyone want to have 2x 8550R5 for their collection, message me, i am maybe getting rid of those :flowers:

they are working, all the patches are playing fine

i am maybe getting rid of those

Yes that sounds completely logical... :rofl:

but still i am not sure if they are working like a 8580R5..

How is that important? If they make pleasant noise just build an MBSID with them. You can always decide later that you rather have SIDs with proper silkscreen.

Having bought many hundreds of SIDs from all possible sources in China over the last few years I also received many

Fakes and especially "refurbished" chips. Let me tell you that the chips you have here are clearly refurbs...

That means the these are real 8580r5 most probably. They just printed a new front/backside to give them

a "New Old Stock" appearance which allows these to be sold more expensive.

If they produce sound you can use them and there's no need to get rid of them. At least you can keep them as spare parts.

However I noticed that many of these fakes and refurbs were partially damaged: the filter section of the SID sems to

Be the most delicate part... So just keep an eye on filter functionality!

Edited by androSID

if i would want to sell them more expensive, i would print the actual 8580 on it not a number that you cant even find on google anywhere :P

How is that important? If they make pleasant noise just build an MBSID with them. You can always decide later that you rather have SIDs with proper silkscreen.

It is because i dont have a genuine chip here for reference.. i cant tell you if the filter behavior is like it should, when i turn the cutoff i can hear that some frequencies are cut off, but the range doesnt sound right to me, same for resonance. As soon as i get my 8580 from androSID i will compare them, and its never a bad choice to have some SIDs as spares...

Edited by RyuX

when i turn the cutoff i can hear that some frequencies are cut off, but the range doesnt sound right to me, same for resonance

When you test this make sure you have all 3 oscilators selected in the filter menu, else you're only cutting off / resonating one of the oscillators of the patch (assuming you're in Lead mode).

if i would want to sell them more expensive, i would print the actual 8580 on it not a number that you cant even find on google anywhere :P

I would use 8581 or 6583. "Last, improved batch of SIDs ever produced!!!!!!!!!11111oneleven" :frantics: