Realising my design ideas

kernelpanic

Hi all,

I finally got time to start my midi controller project. Now I have some questions.

But kernel, what do you want do do?

First thing I want to build, is a DJ Controller. It looks something like this:

The 3 main components are:

1) A Mixer

Its a 4 channel Mixer, consisting of 4 pots to control volume and 4 encoders per channel, where I can control different other things like EQs or FXs. Encoders are all with push buttons, so summed up I need:

- 4 Analog ins

- 32 Digital ins for encoders and 16 Digital ins for encoder push button -> 48 Digital ins.

2) The Master Section

This consist of a crossfader, 2 pots and 10 Encoders.

-> 3 Analog ins

-> 20 Digital ins

EDIT:

As Encoders are just cheaper, I'll take Encoders instead of pots.

3) The Pitcher

4 faders and 4 pots simulate the gain pot and pitchfader. 4 LEDs show point zero of the faders.

- 8 Analog ins and

- 4 digital outs.

EDIT:

As Encoders are just cheaper, I'll take Encoders instead of pots.

-> 0 Analog ins and

-> 8 Digital ins

Total:

- 21 Analog In

- 76 Digital ins.

- 4 Digital Out (other solution possible)

What I would like, is a "modular" Mixer section so I can add another 4 channels if I want to, but thats not that much of a problem if I have enough Ins and Outs available :)

Digital Outs for LEDs aren't that necessary, I shure can find some available pins or use LED drivers via I²C.

Which Midibox suits me best? Perhaps I should mention that I use the LPC Core (I have two LPCs at home, yay). Is Midi128 a good choice?

Second I would like to build a 303/909 controller, which looks something like:

A row of 16 buttons (with LEDs) plus 10 buttons with LEDs in a second row and a bunch of encoders for parameters. And I would like to add a Touchscreen (DOGL or DOGXL with touch panel). So I need:

DIN

DOUT

The bigger question is, which firmware allows me "shift" functions (which I am ready to code manually), as a 909 has many parameters for even more instruments?

Second big question, how can I realise the sequencing part? Should I set up the VSTi to play at a MIDI signal or can I manipulate a pattern inside Live?

Is there a DOG touch support? If not, I'll code it myself.

EDIT:

Combining this controller and the one above is a solution I could easily think of. I just have to check how many Digital ins I have free and adjust the number of Encoders here or there if necessary.

Third I would like to build a 16*8 RGB LED backlit Monome. I think I will get me third LPC for that if I don't do it with an Arduino. If you have any usefull tips for building it with a LPC don't hestitate to tell me ;)

EDIT:

I may just use my second LPC if I combine the 2 above and use 3 DOUT elements or I²C PWM LED drivers (this would be nice as I can drive colors "without stepts", but I'll have to check if I can use that many drivers on one bus and which solution is cheaper).

EDIT 2:

A hell of a dumb question, but does the Core work with MIDI over USB or is the jack just there to transmitt firmware?

So thats it for now, thank you for your help.

Regards, kernelpanic

Edited by kernelpanic

Hi,

to 1) there is no existing MIDIbox firmware which would allow to configure your requested setup.

But: the basics are available - see http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_c.html for further details. Just take the code snippets and build the app by yourself :)

to 2) similar answer. There is even a tutorial for DOG based touchplanel GLCDs

to 3) a simple DOUT matrix will do the job... you should start with this once you got more experiences with 1 and 2

A hell of a dumb question, but does the Core work with MIDI over USB or is the jack just there to transmitt firmware?

USB MIDI is natively supported, use MIOS Studio to upload the core via MIDI (regardless if USB MIDI or "common" MIDI)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

What exactly is the matter with 1)? Is there no firmware using encoders and pots at once or is the matter the "shift" fuction as I said I want to use EQs and FXs on the same encoder? Good thing I ordered a bunch of pots aswell so I can at least get startet doing music while I get to know my workflow better.

For 2) a solution with M4L came into my mind. Then I don't have to either set a BPM on my controller nor tell the controller Abletons clock.

USB is a good thing, I don't want a MIDI cable :)

Didn't have time to look over the code yet, but this would be a good first thing to do :)

Edited by kernelpanic

Hi,

What exactly is the matter with 1)? Is there no firmware using encoders and pots at once or is the matter the "shift" fuction as I said I want to use EQs and FXs on the same encoder? Good thing I ordered a bunch of pots aswell so I can at least get startet doing music while I get to know my workflow better.

Both - the planned MIDIbox NG, which should cover everybody needs, still hasn't been started.

And than longer I'm waiting, than more contradicting requests I'm getting for this "general purpose MIDI controller". ;-)

Anyhow, the tutorials guide you how to program such a controller directly, such a fully customized app will always fulfill your requirements better than any general purpose app could do.

Best Regards, Thorsten.