Control surface PCB for 16 encoders/LEDrings Bulk Order

Fairlightiii

Peeps, help our esteemed PCB creator out by adding yourselves to the Wiki list mentioned in the first post, plus make sure that you have a proper registration on this forum as well! The registration for the Wiki is different than that of this forum, help creating traceability!

Also, if you're new here, got few posts etc it might be a good thing to introduce yourself in a relevant thread or say hi to establish some level of trust thumbsup.png

Not bad, the number of PCBs already exceeds 50!

Hi,

Can you put me up for two?

I will find proper user for them, I'm sure!

Regards,

René

Peeps, help our esteemed PCB creator out by adding yourselves to the Wiki list mentioned in the first post, plus make sure that you have a proper registration on this forum as well! The registration for the Wiki is different than that of this forum, help creating traceability!

flowers.png

Yes, the emphasis is mine, as is the quoted text.

Hey jojjelito, I started a thread at Mutable since I couldn't find your post, though I did see it. Would love to see this get to over a 100 pcbs for another price break.

Also, think we should consider a bulk order from Mouser or otherwise US side for encoders to get a big price break. Regular breaks are around 10,25,50,100 pieces and the price can drop significantly in those numbers.

Also started a thread at monome.org to advertise this.

Edited by shimoda

Hi,

I tried to add myself on the list in the wiki page, but was not able to do so.

The file is locked...

Hi!

Sorry if I sounded harsh - I just wanted to save Jérôme some work. Before you can edit the Wiki you need to register yourself there. It's a separate system from the forum, so registration is double... Anyway, scroll all the way down and press Login. Now you can press the Register link and get that done. Then, after logging in you can easily have your way with the list (and other pages) on the Wiki. Or, someone else is having a twirl with the Wiki page so try later...

Cheers!

Edited by jojjelito

Also, think we should consider a bulk order from Mouser or otherwise US side for encoders to get a big price break. Regular breaks are around 10,25,50,100 pieces and the price can drop significantly in those numbers.

I was near to propose it in this bulk order but too many parameters to manage in only one session.

Thank you for your marketing.

Hi,

I tried to add myself on the list in the wiki page, but was not able to do so.

The file is locked...

Mea Culpa, I was fighting with my table on the wiki page:

...The shipping cost table is now updated.

Sorry, you can retry now Prosperity.

Regards.

Edited by Fairlightiii

Hey jojjelito, I started a thread at Mutable since I couldn't find your post, though I did see it. Would love to see this get to over a 100 pcbs for another price break.

Cool beans!

My thread over at Mutable was titled MIDI Controller Building Blocks or something cryptical like that. I didn't feel like spamming the MI forum with blatant MIDIbox advertising, nor do I want to spam MIDIbox with too much talk of Shruthis, Ambika and Anushri or MIDIpal :whistle: It would save us all heaps of dough if it came to be a 100-board order, plus an encoder bulk would be nice. 4 boards, that's lots of switched encoders just for me... Add some more people and we'll quickly enter price nirvana! :frantics:

I think that Jérôme has enough work with one bulk, hopefully someone in continental Europe (us Swedes would run into expensive postage to most anybody else) will step up. Or someone stateside who'd be willing to send a few boxes of 10USD worth of electronics...

Edited by jojjelito

Someone stateside would have to ship a giant box to one person, or we would all be hit by import fees, I don't know anything about the Swedish system, but in Denmark we're hit for 150DKK if our total order (incl shipping) is more than 80DKK & from outside of Europe (150DKK ~26USD ? )

Which is why I'm in favor of a "local"/european bulk order for encoders, but I know I don't have enough credit on this forum to be the one to start it (or enough credit in real life -.-), +shipping from Denmark is just as bad as shipping from Sweden :(

Not sure if I'm ready to set a bulk order state-side as I am sooo new to this, but might consider it. I think combining an LED/Encoder order would be even smarter given the number of LEDs that will be required for this. Perhaps just ordering a BO for the kit components and splitting them would be the best way to bring the price down for chips/leds/encoders. Thoughts? Will start a discussion on that if necessary.

Hmm, I was thinking of collecting the encoder needs in some bulk or two, depending on people's location. If it was up to me, I'd get all the encoderama for the EU/Switzerland/Norway/Russia etc in a big box if I was travelling stateside and it would accompany me home. It's my way of effing the customs idiocracy. Splitting and shipping would ensue. Or, those encoders were a manufacturer warranty repair. All of this is purely hypothetical of course.

In Sweden the customs people usually don't care if the order is for some small sum of say 500SEK (60€). Unless you're extremely unlucky, they had the Monday blues or something. Then the bastards at the postal service want 100SEK for their trouble of collecting customs payment, plus the VAT and customs on the order amount... You feel immense pain if your 4 Lolcat T-shirts costing 60USD-ish somhow got intercepted. Add 100SEK plus another 150-170-ish SEK customs and it all gets way more expensive :angry:

Anywho, I guess we could find some interesting solution. Like ordering a boatload of encoders straight from the manufacturer in China using Alibaba if there's a good amount of interest.

Hi Jojjelito i have the same with the switzerland post. Under 5 CHF there are no taxe. After the post add 12 or 16.5 CHF with 3% of the total price. 12 CHF is for near country...

The solution for no have the tax that i found is that the seller say that the parcel is free commercial sample and the cost is 0 or under 30 CHF .

Ok.

As many people want some components and as resistor networks (SIL and DIL) are not easy to find at good price for few quantity, I add a bulk order only for SIL and DIL resistor networks to this bulk order.

Others components (except encoders) are easily "sourcable" on Internet.

I have modified the Wikipage with 2 new columns.

Importants informations:

>I will make the Mouser order the same moment I will order the PCBs.

>This bulk order will take place only if the ordered amount is a least 65€ (no shipping charges at Mouser).

>Only member which order a PCB can participate (...sorry!).

>The weight (...and the price) of the shipping of the parcel to each member shouldn't be different (except maybe for 4 boards where the weight was very slightly less than the limit of 0.5kg).

>The price of the 652-4116R-1LF-220 and the 264-10K-RC will be the one Mouser propose regarding the quantity ordered for each item.

I let someone else doing a bulk order for encoders (...severals models, prices and weight to manage).

Regards,

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

On the http://www.taydaelectronics.com shop (...very good shop) you can buy:

2 ULN2803 Transistors Darlington arrays

4 74HC165

4 74HC595

10 Ceramic Cap 100nF=0,1uF “104â€

1 Polarized Electrolytic Capacitor 100 uF

1 2x40 Pin 2.54 mm Double Row Pin Header Strip

1 40 Pin 2.54 mm Single Row Pin Header Strip

10 Socket 16 pins

2 Socket 18 pins

256 LED 3mm Red

For $10.89 or 8.40€ including shipping to US or Europe.

You have only to add encoders and RNs.

Regards.

Edited by Fairlightiii

As I daydreamed to Jerome via PM:

How about a BO for a 'universal' panel? Probably most people would use a panel directly over this PCB any way. Some mounting holes for the PCB, some for mounting to an enclosure, square hole for LCD, some holes for navigation pots/switches ... perfect. You could use 2,3,4 of these and stack them up for bigger controllers. And why not standardize on width of 19" racks, so making an enclosure would be easier (did not research this yet). Single panels with all these holes/squares for the LED's would be expensive. Buying 100+(?) would make that price a whole lot less ...

I understood Jerome will be sharing info on panel later ... let's do wait for that

I'm feeling uncertain about organising, I don't think my credibility and trust on this forum is on par (,yet?!). And then there's design experience, but hey, one has to start somewhere. I do have time and financial buffers at the moment ...

Ideas/interest/tips/support?

Size/colour/material/suppliers?

Will make separate thread when there's any interest and to not pollute this one ...

regards, dnode