Control surface PCB for 16 encoders/LEDrings Bulk Order

Fairlightiii

So the PCB must be bigger

And

The second wish could be a little bit easier (i hope so)...is it possible to do a makeover of the actual PCB design so that the encoders and LEDs are aranged in a 4x4 matrix instead of 2x8?

I will make the PCB bigger/different only if there will be a consensus of most of members about it.

I have already made a prototype of the PCB with 8x1 (in line) controlers (potentially more usefull for everyone), but I made it with 300mm instead of 344mm for MB-LRE8x2CS.

and if it is possible the LCDs could get an connector directly on the PCBs???

I don't think it will be very useful and not very possible regarding the already density of the PCB routing.

can you tell us which layout-software you are using?

Eagle.

Best regards,

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

hey fairlightiii...

i allready thought that the integration of the PCB is that high that no integration of displayports is possible. Your idea of an 8x1 matrix is also realy good...so it is easyer to stack more encoder matrices in the amount of distance you need. thats pretty cool. :-)

oh you are using a full featured version of eagle...that costs a lot of money at all. :-)

i do understand that a PCB desing change is only intersting i more people are interested in an other design...thats why i brought the idea about 4x4 matrix and LCDs here on topic to discuss it. :-)

So if you think it is not interessting for more persons than me you can erase the wishlist entry of me in the wiki-page.

i hope that you don't understand me wrong...i like the PCBs Fairlightii made very much...its great job and i think it was lots of work!

Thanx for it fairlightiii!!!

Best Regards

MaG2k

Edited by MaG2k

-----snip-----

i do understand that a PCB desing change is only intersting i more people are interested in an other design...thats why i brought the idea about 4x4 matrix and LCDs here on topic to discuss it. :-)

So if you think it is not interessting for more persons than me you can erase the wishlist entry of me in the wiki-page.

-----snip-----

Best Regards

MaG2k

4x4 is interesting as a concept, but probably less useful than 1x8, as for the LCDs : Why not just use a 2x16 LCD placed in the middle of every four encoders? It will probably overlap some of the LEDs a bit, but there would be plenty of space+they are a lot cheaper to use :smile:

EDIT: To the guy that lost his boards - I don't think anyone stole them, I'm guessing that your package was nudged around a bit in transit, which cause the edge of the boards to start cutting a hole in the envelope.. This happened to mine as well, but the hole wasn't much bigger than 2-3cm, so nothing fell out (thankfully) :/

Edited by V`cent

I do not want to erase your whishlist entry, we are here to debate of them and I'm not absolutly closed about the idea of a 4x4 controlers board, maybe several people also.

Shipping them would be far more practical :rofl:

Best regards,

Jerome.

PS: The new forum interface is intriguing sometimes.

Edited by Fairlightiii

One thing I would point out is to be careful with shipping.  I think everything came in my order however it was close to not being that way.  The top of the package was ripped open from the boards and the resistors and dils had about fallen out (one package was hanging out of the opening.  The place where the envelope folds (the edge) is the thinnest and weakest part of the packaging and is easier to rip thus does better when the internal packaging is reinforced and the edges taped.

• Like 2

One thing I would point out is to be careful with shipping.  I think everything came in my order however it was close to not being that way.  The top of the package was ripped open from the boards and the resistors and dils had about fallen out (one package was hanging out of the opening.  The place where the envelope folds (the edge) is the thinnest and weakest part of the packaging and is easier to rip thus does better when the internal packaging is reinforced and the edges taped.

I have top edge taped what I though be the most critical heavy envelopes but the problem was I couldn't realy inspect the envelopes before buying them and the quality of them wasn't what I imagined.

The ideal way would be to use cardboard but the price of the shipping material (and the shipping cost) would be far most costly (and so the PCBs also).

Envelopes with enough space to handle the PCB in one dimension is automaticaly too big in the other dimension and as the PCBs are heavy, they move inside the envelope and hit the edges if the postman hold the envelope at the side where there are no the boards.

...I don't know if my explanations are enough clear (I would be more explicit in french language).

Best regards,

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

• 3 weeks later...

Plop, i have a little question to confirm something :

As read on the Wikipage :

Improvements :

Trying to add DINX2 onboard to handle the 16 encoder switches (start/end of the chain?).

BOM:

1 1-row SIL Header (1×16 pins) “TO_SWITCH_BOARD†SL 1X36G 2,54 649-68001-416HLF optional

It means that actually the Built-in switch of the encoders could not be used without a dinx2 ?

If i want to use them, i have to add a dinx2 (or dinx4) ?

Thanks Bye

If i want to use them, i have to add a dinx2 (or dinx4) ?

Hi Francois.
Yes you have to connect the SIL pinheader to a DINx2 or DINx4 module.
There was initialy not enough space to put them on the board.
In the whishlist, they could fit the board only if we decide to remove the 2 ULNs.

Best regards,

Jerome.

I just want to inform the community that I upgraded the design of the MB-LRE8x2CS PCB to the revision 2.7 (see the Whishlist section for the improvements).

I have also finished the design of the 4×2 and 8×1 boards to complete the serie and I'm working on a little board with only 4x1 encoders.

All the boards have the same pitch between controllers.

Best regards,

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

is there a kind of timeline for an BO of the 8x1, 4x2 and 4x1 Jerome? Would be nice to hear that you do an BO again! :-)

I plan to do a bulk order but I would like to finish before I'm currently working on.

If I start a BO, I'm sure I won't have time to go more far with the design.

Best regards,

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

okay thats correct...once you start the BO you will definitly havn't any time to change designs! :-)

But it is nice to hear and notice that "i am in" (i would like to take all different types of your new designs)!

We all should test more different LED typs cause my video later today will show four differnt typs (that i allready added to the blacklist) and only one is okay for the LRE8x2 on an MIDIbox NG Core.

• 2 months later...