Control surface PCB for 16 encoders/LEDrings Bulk Order

Fairlightiii

Anywho, I guess we could find some interesting solution. Like ordering a boatload of encoders straight from the manufacturer in China using Alibaba if there's a good amount of interest.

I think that a global Midibox bulk order will be pertinent regarding number of projects using them.

I asked Alibaba but their price is not interesting except for a very low quality clone.

I asked also to a French Bourns distributor but they did not answer me (not professional? very few units?).

An idea would be to contact another national distributor but the asked quote should be far more than 1000 units (5000? 10000?).

Regards.

Regarding an encoder bulk, I fear that not soo much can be gained...

Example... when someone does a bulk of 1000 bourns encoders with switch, the mouser price will be 652€.

If then 32 (20,86€) are sent to a person somewhere in the EU (they are too heavy for normal envelopes), ca 10€ p&p have to be added, so that the "normal" price of a mouser order (which is 30.08€ for 32 pieces) is matched.

So, in short, when you order via mouser and can reach the 65€ free-shipping amount (and chances are that you will, because of the encoders and the LEDs and other MIDIbox small parts), you will be fine...

137 boards on order! Yeaah! Only 13 to go for the next price drop :-D

(and only 5 more for the "breakeven" point, where it makes sense to order 150 instead of 142, because they will be cheaper :))

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Can these be cut vertically so I can configure a 2 (2x4) for a 4x4 config?

EDIT: nvm, they can't...

Put me down anyway lol

Hi Dreadknot.

No effectively this board is not breakable. But you can use only a part of the controllers of the board (it is like this I plan to use them).

Maybe one day I will make a 4x2 or 8x1 control surface (more possible today with the double chain handled by the Midibox NG).

If you want to order you have to create a Wiki account and upgrade the Wiki page list.

Regards.

[Edit: Sorry ilmenator for the double answer, you react more quickly than me :thumbsup:]

Edited by Fairlightiii

Hi Dreadknot.

No effectively this board is not breakable. But you can use only a part of the controllers of the board (it is like this I plan to use them).

Maybe one day I will make a 4x2 or 8x1 control surface (more possible today with the double chain handled by the Midibox NG).

If you want to order you have to create a Wiki account and upgrade the Wiki page list.

Regards.

[Edit: Sorry ilmenator for the double answer, you react more quickly than me :thumbsup:]

Done!!

Ah now I understand what you mean. :thumbsup:

It doesn't really matter what shape the acrylic is as long as it matches the metal and show all the LEDs. You could even make a U shaped insert if you want. I thought round inserts are probably easier to make (and maybe cheaper).

So this would be easier? I am ignorant when it comes to panel design... I was trying to wrap my head around how to design the cutouts for the LED's...

I was thinking all the cuts done in one metal panel.

I've been wanting to put together a midibox controller for my Kawai K5000R (so many parameters), this looks perfect.

Amen to that!

My K5000s needs some editing help for those moment when I don't feel like using a mouse or the iPad...

Then again, there's lots of hideously complex synths out there, cough FS1r cough! :sorcerer:

Let's compare notes when we get there.

Dear members.

Can you send me by mail (jeromebo at free dot fr)your:

Username

Paypal mail address

Real name

Postal address

Country

Level of shipping insurance you want to take.

Best regards,

Jerome.

...for those who have not sent it yet.

Regards.

Edited by Fairlightiii

Hi members.

I have updated the shipping cost table including 45€ insurance for 6, 7 and 8 ordered PCBs.

Because:

• the prices have dropped since the beggining of the bulk order,
  • lot of members have upgraded their order during it,
  • maybe some people prefer to spend less money for insurance,

so I ask those who already sent me their personal informations about the shipping to check again the shipping cost table and eventually send me the good amount of insurance they want.

Thank you.

Best regards.

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii