MIDIbox SEQ BLM 16x4 Control Surface PCB

ilmenator

Today I have finished a (traditional) BLM 16x4 board and have confirmed it to be working. It uses duo LEDs and the very nice Marquardt 6245 series of buttons. Together with Wilba's MB-SEQ Control Surface and a TPC / BPM module it will fill the upper half of an abandoned Roland MV-8000 case.

The board holds all necessary components including surface mount shift registers (DOUT and DIN) on the backside and connects via a single 10pin cable to J2 on Wilba's control surface board. Additional modules (BPM and TPC displays) can be connected to a second 10pin connector that loops through all serial I/O signals from J8/J9 of the Core32 board.

Here are some images:

post-3442-0-39396200-1352235857_thumb.jp

post-3442-0-60042700-1352235848_thumb.jp

post-3442-0-86317900-1352235863_thumb.jp

post-3442-0-58075100-1352235870_thumb.jp

I am really happy that the "old" BLM code is still available in V4, and that it is supported in the config file - thanks TK!

Best, ilmenator

have you made the files available for others to order this PCB?

Not yet, as I have to decide what to make available (the Gerbers or the KICAD sources or both). I have three spare boards that I'd be willing to sell for 30 Euros each - this is what I paid for them as prototype boards. I also have two sets of Marquardt switches, desoldered from some video editing equipment that was hardly ever used. (Same as those you see on my board). PM me if interested.

I was asked whether the buttons would align with Wilba's MB-SEQ frontpanel design - the answer is no, and the reason you can see below. In my panel, there will a TPC and step display and a BPM display to the left of the button / Duo-LED matrix. A second reason is that the protoboard manufacturer I used has a size limit that I had to follow.

post-3442-0-04774200-1352499523_thumb.jp

Also, I was asked about how the buttons would sit in the frontpanel. I am using 8mm spacers and 3mm thick front panel, and the caps are flush with the surface, the round part sticking out slightly. It's perfect for sliding over a complete column of buttons (or row, but that would make less sense I guess).

post-3442-0-63690500-1352499761_thumb.jp

post-3442-0-16732500-1352499767_thumb.jp

Wow, pretty impressive. I already have a seq4 using wilba's board. Could something like this be built into a separate case as an accessory connected via serial cable? I can understand using the BLM to control gates or triggers for drums. How else do you use it? Do you map buttons to internal patterns and sequences? Or is more like a controller for a DAW?

Here is the BOM for populating the PCB.

Please note that there is no silkscreen on the back side of the PCB. However, each IC has its reference etched in copper next to its footprint. Also, pin 1 of each IC is clearly marked with a "1" next to the corresponding pad, and all 100nF smd capacitors (C2-C7) sit close to the ICs.

BLM BOM.pdf

Edited by ilmenator

• 2 weeks later...

Could something like this be built into a separate case as an accessory connected via serial cable?

Yes, that is feasible, but cable length on the "serial bus" might be an issue. It's simply a matter of trial and error to see how long a cable you could use. With proper shielding and termination it should become practical, though - there are a few threads about termination in this forum somewhere, use the search. Also, the BLM accessory will most probably be located very close to the SEQ...

However, you might have to switch between two hardware config files then, depending on whether the accessory is connected or not. I am not sure what happens if you have defined the BLM shift registers but don't physically connect them?

I have one more PCB available, and I can provide a set of buttons if needed for cheap (but you can also just have the PCB if you prefer that). I'll travel to Germany middle of December, which would make shipping (also international) reasonable, even with tracking/insurance (which I would prefer). PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the final bump before I actually travel to Germany and the last chance for anyone interested in cheap registered shipping (shipping this insured from Norway is simply too expensive to be reasonable). Send me PM by Thursday evening CET if interested - I have one more board and buttons and duo LEDs galore!

Well on my unit it is directly connected to the DIN/DOUT chain, I am not sure how much the 17x17 external BLM can be changed to hold only a subset of buttons/LEDs and how this would be configured? There should be some way, though, I would guess. At least the new NG concept seems to have all that functionality already, so it may arrive in very short time in the SEQ V4 as well if it is not there already?

I guess altitude got here, not sure how I missed this thread. Has it been officially taken?

Yup. Gotta be quicker than that :P

Well aware about the SRIO chain length though, ran into the length issue with an AOUT module before. Probably a good time to play around with some buffering

Edited by Altitude

• 1 month later...

For those of you that came too late to get one of my prototype PCBs (or who just discover this thread now), I have documented the board design and everything you need to know to build your own unit over in the Wiki. You'll find schematics and Gerbers there (so you can order your own boards anywhere you like), as well as the BOM and some other hints.

Kind regards, ilmenator

For those of you that came too late to get one of my prototype PCBs (or who just discover this thread now), I have documented the board design and everything you need to know to build your own unit over in the Wiki. You'll find schematics and Gerbers there (so you can order your own boards anywhere you like), as well as the BOM and some other hints.

Kind regards, ilmenator

ilmenator,

I've converted your AI back to FPD, I'm attaching it if you want to put it to the wiki. It was seated to 3U panel but the whole 16x4 BLM is a single block and can safely be moved around or copied/paste to another panel design.

freddy

mbseq_4x16.fpd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I just figured that in the BOM there is no supplier mentioned for the switch caps. I found the following and I wonder which ones are the right ones ?

Snap In:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/707023/Marquardt-Tastkappe-Serie-6425-826000011-Tastkappe-blank-Anthrazit-Passend-fuer-Serie-6425-ohne-LED

Plain:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/704928/Marquardt-Tastkappe-Serie-6425-825000011-Tastkappe-blank-Anthrazit-Passend-fuer-Serie-6425-ohne-LED;jsessionid=EADC3CF4CBEE7AB7C23D9C7497B310C1.ASTPCEN10

I am just wondering if both will work and which of those are recommended ...

Thanks !

orange

Hi Guys,

I just figured that in the BOM there is no supplier mentioned for the switch caps. I found the following and I wonder which ones are the right ones ?

Snap In:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/707023/Marquardt-Tastkappe-Serie-6425-826000011-Tastkappe-blank-Anthrazit-Passend-fuer-Serie-6425-ohne-LED

Plain:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/704928/Marquardt-Tastkappe-Serie-6425-825000011-Tastkappe-blank-Anthrazit-Passend-fuer-Serie-6425-ohne-LED;jsessionid=EADC3CF4CBEE7AB7C23D9C7497B310C1.ASTPCEN10

I am just wondering if both will work and which of those are recommended ...

Thanks !

orange

Orange,

this one is 19mm (18.3x18.3 but 19mm hole), this gives the panel lines between the caps a bit too thin. I accidentally bought 130 of these (from another supplier) and could take a picture of populated board with the buttons over the next weekend when's my next home visit scheduled if it matters for you (still, they're 18 cents cheaper, for 64 this makes >10 EUR difference).

Anyway, I can sell you these if you want to, my local supplier has them here for 0,2910 EUR pp (excl 19% VAT). I could also sell you 64 buttons I've got spare, I got them for here for 0,62 EUR pp (again, excl. VAT, Conrad sells them for 1,40 EUR) - I bought two sets of buttons and (wrong) caps hoping for 2 PCBs from ilmenator  :rolleyes:

Sorry for advertising, this should probably be part of Fleamarket topic.

Cheers,

freddy

Freddy, you can offer me what you've got, but I have to check out the pictures beforehand. I am aiming towards perfection, so if that combination is cheaper but looking ugly, then I am out :shifty:, otherwise I am in :rolleyes:

Sure thing, unfortunately, I won't be able to post pics before following weekend (23-24/2). If you're unpatient (like I was) you better get the 16mm buttons till then, these were documented already on ilmenator's wiki  :rolleyes: