MIDIbox SEQ BLM 16x4 Control Surface PCB

ilmenator

I got them for here for 0,62 EUR pp (again, excl. VAT, Conrad sells them for 1,40 EUR)

That is a really, really good price - I desoldered mine from old (but actually mostly unused) equipment, I think I wouldn't have gone through the hassle had I known about this supplier earlier! The "feel" of these is superb. Thanks for providing that link, freddy!

ilmenator - no kidding, I told you about the source and the price before (PM on 7/1) though without the links  :sad:

orange - while browsing PMs with ilmenator I found some poor quality pics of the 19mm caps, attaching them as a teaser before I'll make proper pictures the following weekend. Basically, to get an idea, using 16mm caps (the smaller and more expensive at Conrad) this leaves ~4,5mm space between the buttons as can be seen on ilmenator's Wiki page, using 19mm this leaves ~1.5mm for the panel width.

post-3601-0-83871000-1360926370_thumb.jp

post-3601-0-18978000-1360926428_thumb.jp

Hi Ilmenator,

I wanted to order a PCB from goldphoenixpcb., but I am struggling with the fields to be entered in the order / quote form. Can you please review the fields entered ? I guess I have to enter the total size (335.15mm x 97.92mm) as given in the WIKI, right ?

Thank you !

orange

post-8528-0-99597200-1360934805_thumb.jp

post-8528-0-92466600-1360934812_thumb.jp

Edited by orange_hand

The following caps are the right ones, they measure 15,5 x 15,5 mm. I guess the 16x16mm in the WIKI are hand measured and not taken from the data sheet, isn't it ?

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/707023/Marquardt-Tastkappe-Serie-6425-826000011-Tastkappe-blank-Anthrazit-Passend-fuer-Serie-6425-ohne-LED

Gold Phoenix will usually send you a quote after you have uploaded the Gerbers. Whatever you enter in their form is just for giving you quick online feedback, I believe.

16x16mm in the Wiki is indeed an approximation, yes. I believe that is actually the recommended opening in the frontpanel - it's in the cap's datasheet.

Hi Freddy,

I can wait .....

Orange,

Here it is, the images are self-explaining, if you want to take picture from another side, angle, or caps combination, let me know, I'll have the camera around me till Sunday, flying back to Frankfurt on Monday.

Edit: I just realized that the 19mm caps will be covering the LEDs so the LEDs would need to bended a bit (by app 1.5mm) to the top. There is still enough place to fit a 3mm LED between the rows, though.

post-3601-0-83805100-1361617988_thumb.jp

post-3601-0-77986700-1361618002_thumb.jp

post-3601-0-69073800-1361618008_thumb.jp

Edited by freddy

• 1 year later...

So, sorry to bring up this old post, but I was wondering if somebody could give me further insight into the function and use 

of the 4 x 16 BLM.   

I understand the concept of the BLM, at least at that 16 x 16 x X level.  

On the larger BLM it's actually a 17 x 17 BLM and the extra colum and row , is how you define the "Modes" of the BLM.

So with the simpler, 16 x 4 BLM.   How does one control the "Modes"?  Or is it a simpler BLM and only controls... ? 

I see all the instructions on how to build it but just haven't found anything describing its use and function.

Thanks!

Edited by renegadebliss

• 2 weeks later...

So in trying to answer my own question, I've been looking at the source code.  But that leaves me with even more questions.. :)

I see this here: (root)/trunk/apps/sequencers/midibox_seq_v4/hwcfg/wilba_tpd/MBSEQ_HW.V4

# set this value to 1 if each track has its own set of 16 LEDs to display unmuted steps and current sequencer position # or if you are using a button/led matrix for misc. button/LED functions BLM_ENABLED 1

So the LED's on the matrix will show unmuted steps and current sequencer position.

So we have 4 Rows... is that for the 16 steps of the 4 Tracks for the currently selected Group?  

It's just not clear what each of the 4 Rows of LED's are showing.

Then we have the buttons:

# set this to 1 if these buttons should only control the "step triggers" (gate, and other assigned triggers) - and no UI functions BLM_BUTTONS_NO_UI 1

So where are these assigned buttons made?  Is their a menu option?  When I go through the Menu pages in the User Manual, I only see BLM options for Scalar.   How does one set these buttons to control/assign the "steps triggers"?

It seemed that this might have been something that was with v3 Seq?  I went looking there in the archives on the website, but haven't found much, and the pic that I saw from there, showed a  17 x 4 row , the 4 buttons in column looked like they were spaced

to help control the "function".  Is that what the 4 extra buttons are for on the other project, the TPD?

Just trying to get an accurate description of exactly what the 16 x 4 matrix controls and how one would set that up.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
ilmenator,

I've converted your AI back to FPD, I'm attaching it if you want to put it to the wiki. It was seated to 3U panel but the whole 16x4 BLM is a single block and can safely be moved around or copied/paste to another panel design.

freddy

freddy's FPD file has a 1,5mm. corner radius on the 16x16mm cutouts for the button caps.

For the Marquardt button caps this is too sharp, the radius should be 0,75mm.

Here is the altered file

BLM_16x4.fpd

• 5 weeks later...