FS: MB6582 allmost complete

graantjes

I am selling this allmost completely build MB6582 with all parts included. I stopped this project because I had 2 bad power supplys and

didnt have the time to look for a decent old one when I needed it. I have had the board sent to strophlex and he confirmed it was working

with his power supply.

kaoakk.jpg

I am looking for 450 euro, shipping can be to anywhere, payment trough bank transfer or paypall

best regards, Joeri

He used to live in Begium, but has now relocated to Germany. I helped him with trouble shooting, first in the forums and pm and then when he hat tried all my ideas he sent me the base pcb and I concluded that the device worked like it should using my psu. All soldering looked good.

Hi Skunks,

cheap switching PSUs like the linked one may introduce switching noise on the audio output - better go for a high-frequency switcher or a linear PSU.

(You could filter the harddisk switching PSU with additional capacitors and maybe an inductance (LC-filter), but it may not remove all switching noise).

Graantjes, it may be that your original C64 PSU was a bit too weak to drive the MB6582.. I had the same problem with mine after adding a power-hungry display... so nothing to worry about, they are known for that (and it is better to replace them anyways, as their old voltage regulators can fry your precious SIDs in case of a failure).

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

The board worked fine with my PSU so all I know is that there must be some problems with graantjes psu. Either it was too weak, it was broken or the was some trouble with the pinout but I am pretty sure he ruled that out.

The PSU on ebay is probobly strong enough and probobly noisy as Hawkeye says. I have only used linear PSUs with my MB6582 and they have all worked fine.

I figured out a way to run my 6582 off of an external 12vdc power supply (2 wire connection). as long as a quality power supply is used, switchers are fine. i used a left over 12v supply from an old (pre lenovo) IBM laptop. The kind with the wall wart in line in the power cord. The audio output of my unit is dead quite with out a hint of switch noise.

Your mileage may very, but mine works quite well.

Cheers!

Gtx

To Ukraine :)

graantjes,

was that exactly C64 PSU that didn't work?

(I've found one guy here that can sell me C64C power supply (for $20: Commodores were not very popular here). Is this solution as good (in terms of noise) as 3-rd pary linear Power Supply ? Maybe that's a bad idea in terms of max. current)

Could anybody post links to strong but not noisy PSU-s? (Liner or high-freq. switching)

Edited by skunks

Hi Skunks,

the LM2596 is a switcher - dunno how fast it switches, it might be good - but if you´re into DIY, you could just

build one like these - cheap parts overall, linear and noise free :)

http://www.retro-donald.de/pages/hardware/basteleien/powernetzteil.php

Here are a few pictures of my build - am very happy with that PSU:

Many greets,

Peter