AOUT_NG J5 problem?

grizz

Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out why my AOUT_NG no longer works with my SEQ V4. To start I am running the newest version bootloader and SEQ OS. I have had this setup working with both my SEQ V4 and my old MB-6582 (sold). Here is my first question:

When I power on my +-12 Volt power supply hooked up to the AOUT_NG, the ground and cv pins on J5 are bridged... Normal? I'm assuming not, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening... I have removed the AOUT and PSU from their enclosure and disconnected the AOUT from the core32 so that the only connections are the 12v PSU and the AOUT... The PSU is outputting the proper power readings. Any ideas? I have two AOUT_NG's and have confirmed the same behavior with both.

If this is normal I have some other problem, but I wanted to eliminate this as a possibility first.

Thanks!

Hi,

with "bridged" you mean, that the CV outputs are at 0V (ground level) after power-on, right?

Did you already try the integrated AOUT test of MBSEQ V4?

Type "testaoutpin" in the MIOS Terminal to get more informations - this mode allows you to check the connections between core and AOUT_NG module.

And just to doublecheck: the CV Configuration menu shows AOUT_NG, right?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

with "bridged" you mean, that the CV outputs are at 0V (ground level) after power-on, right?

What I meant to say is that when I power on the 12volt supply to the AOUT_NG and use my multimeter to check conductivity between the GND pin and CV pins at J5 they are connected (bridged) ... the multimeter "beeps" This doesn't seem normal to me, but it happens to both of my AOUT_NG's, one of which has never worked with the SEQ V4, but worked fine with my MB6582.

Did you already try the integrated AOUT test of MBSEQ V4?

Type "testaoutpin" in the MIOS Terminal to get more informations - this mode allows you to check the connections between core and AOUT_NG module.

I haven't tried the test yet, but I will when I get off work later today.

And just to doublecheck: the CV Configuration menu shows AOUT_NG, right?

Yes.

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by grizz

So, I stumbled across altitude's thread involving his AOUT_NG and core32 issues that were resolved with shortening the cable connecting the core and AOUT... Since my cable is much longer than his original non-working cable I'm going to try a shorter cable later. The odd thing is that it worked fine with my MB6582, but maybe there is some sort of different between the 8-bit core and the 32-bit core...

Cheer,

Alex

Yes, of course - a too long cable can cause such "communication failures" on the MBHP_CORE_STM32, because the interface works only at 3.3V

The PIC based MB6582 works at 5V instead.

Possible workarounds:

- use a shorter cable...

- or use a 74HC541 as a 3.3V -> 5V level shifter. See also the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 schematic: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_core_lpc17.pdf

Best Regards, Thorsten.

What I meant to say is that when I power on the 12volt supply to the AOUT_NG and use my multimeter to check conductivity between the GND pin and CV pins at J5 they are connected (bridged) ... the multimeter "beeps" This doesn't seem normal to me, but it happens to both of my AOUT_NG's, one of which has never worked with the SEQ V4, but worked fine with my MB6582.

Hi Alex,

Typical meters do not work this way, Attempting to measure continuity/resistance on a live circuit can damage the meter and the circuit under test.

Same for diode and transistor check settings - never on a live circuit!

Best regards

Tim

Great advise Tim but it seems like you should also include information on how to measure a circuit with power on it. With power applied you almost always want to read voltage across a point, never use the meter on ohms. There may be exceptions but not many.

Pete

Hi Alex,

Typical meters do not work this way, Attempting to measure continuity/resistance on a live circuit can damage the meter and the circuit under test.

Same for diode and transistor check settings - never on a live circuit!

Best regards

Tim

Thanks Tim... Lets hope I didn't fry either of my AOUT_NG's ... I did some research, and either way I just learned a lot thanks to your heads up.

cheers,

alex