Project: Single LRE8x2

TK.

In future I will document MBNG project templates in separate forum articles instead of my website to give you the possibility to ask directly for details (of course, I hope that other users will document their MBNG based projects on a similar way in future  :happy: )

So, let's start with LRE8x2, a project which is based on Fairlightiii's PCB: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fairlightiii

This MIDIbox NG is based on:

lre8x2.jpg

Configuration file: lre8x2.ngc

Special notes: the .NGC file configures the ledrings for ULN2803 based Transistor Darlington arrays which will invert the selection lines for the LED rings.
If you've built the PCB without the transistor arrays (which actually don't really improve the brightness), then please change the "DOUT_MATRIX ... inverted=1" definition to "DOUT_MATRIX ... inverted=0", otherwise the LED rings won't work correctly!

/edit: link to the LRE8x2x4 project with 64 rotary encoders + ledrings: 

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...

Hello Tk, i would go this way to use my 4 boards.

But i have some questions :

I would to do a fat controller with the 4 boards together, but my girlfriend want her own controller. :D

If i understand your post, i need one lpc17 and one SCS, for each controller ? (1 for 1, and 1 for 3)

The title say : Single LRE8x2 but why not more (as seen in the LRE8x2 order thread, you used 4 board on on lcp17)

There is no way to use something less expensive, like the Core8 ?

Thanks a lot. Bye

Edited by Lamouette

This thread only introduces the simple variant!

The 4 board solution can be found here: 

A MBHP_CORE could be used as well for up to 4 LRE8x2 modules - but the MIDIbox64E firmware is less flexible compared to MBNG, and firmware updates are not planned anymore (in other words: the MIDIbox64E firmware has been discontinued - use it as it is, but enhancements are rejected ;-))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi "MIDIboxer's"...

to day i partly finnished my LRE8x2 PCB driven by an LPC17 Core with uploaded Bootloader v1.011 and the MIDIbox NG application (and configurationfile http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=/trunk/apps/controllers/midibox_ng_v1/cfg/templates/lre8x2.ngc).

I recorded two videos (german and english version) of the first run. What you can see is a documentation of brightness of four different typs of LEDs. I allready updated the LED-Blacklist on fairlightiii's wiki-page: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mb-lre8x2cs_pcb#whishlist

But now the videos (english version):

(german version):

As i red on tayda electronics datasheetpage for the red T1 LEDs they shall have 3000-4000mcd! I can't realy imagine that because they arn't that bright. If you use them standalone driven without PWM (only DC). What i can imagine is that they are around 300-500mcd.

As you can see i have some little problems and hope that you have ideas to solve that problems.

Can it be that the glowing of the non triggered LEDs comes because i didn't assembled all the LEDs in the LED-rings of encoders 2,4,6,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 and 16?

I used the ULN2803 transistor-darlington-array!

@ T.K. do you have an idea why one off my cores isnt answering via USB-MIDI-ports and as well not on the native MIDI-ports?

what i did was that i red about changing the USB_name of the Core (after uploading the bootloader-firmware) and the device_ID to. I changed the name to "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2" and the device_ID to 126 (because i will use more LPC17 Cores at the same time). What happend is...the bootloader starts and on the display is written "bootloader is up and running"...in the system is now a USB-MIDI IN and OUT port named "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2" but if i try to connect with MIOS Studio i get no connection (the core doesn't accept any upolads and he isnt answering to commends at the command-line). The only life-signals i get from the core is (if i connect him via native MIDI IN/OUT) in MIOS studio (if i choose the native MIDI-ports of my soundcard) is that the bootloader is up and running and the bootloader-version...but i can't send any commands also not via the native MID-ports. What can i do to bring him back to life? what did i wrong?

For the LRE8x2 project that you see in the videos i used an other fresh core were i didnt changed anything.

An other problem i realised was that if i connect the board which is not answering anymore to the PC and then connecting the GM5x5x5 device i also builded than all ports (the USB-MIDI port of the LPC17 Core and the USB-MIDI ports of the GM5x5x5 device) has the name "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2" in MIOS studio. The LPC17 Core starts with "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2" than the GM5x5x5 device starts with "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2" too followed by "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2 2", "MIDIbox NG LRE8x2 3"...and so on.

Does anybody of you do have input for me?

Thanx a lot!

Regards

MaG2k

(Matthias)

P.S.: please excuse my "not the best" english in the video!

how can i embedd the youtubevideos here?

Edited by MaG2k

Hi Matthias,

nice videos! :)

To the device ID: after you've changed it to 126, you also have to select the right device ID in MIOS Studio (above the Query button)

Note: actually it isn't required to change the device ID if MIOS Studio communicates via USB to the core, because each core has a dedicated MIDI port. Device IDs are only useful if you would chain the cores.

Shadows on the LED rings: this seems to be a soldering error around the ULN2803.

I can reproduce exactly the same effect when I'm lifting pin #9 (ground) of the ULN2803.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanx for your fast response Thorsten!

because of the shadows on the LED-rings...i will check that this weekend again but in can't imagine that i soldered wrong...but what i can imagine is that the ULNs itself has a problem because i ordered them too at tayda electronics and as i said in the video the LEDs aren't all the same quality. What i can imagine is that they have a little fault. but i will try it without the ULNs again.

about the device_ID...i will check it right now! :-)

Thanx for your help!

Regards

MaG2k

Hi MIDIbox'ers,

once again a video of me...showing the LRE8x2 now working correctly. The problem with the untriggered but glowing LEDs in the LED-rings is found and solved with the help of T.K. now.

The problem was not a problem of defective LEDs or liftet grounds. It was a problem of the SN74HC595 and the UNLs (darlington transistor arry) it selfs. I first exchanged the 74HC595 with some which i bought from an other distributor and the result was that the glowing was extremly much darker after that and only localy. After i kicked out the ULNs and bridged them the problem was completely gone!

So here is my warning: don't buy IC at "tayda electronics". The LEDs i used are also bought at "tayda electronics" but they are okay...not all are good but look at the price...they cost half of that what LEDs costs at mouser, reichelt, farnell,....so if you buy those LEDs at tayda please calculate that 1-5% can have a problem! Of my 256 soldered LEDs i found 4 with defective LED-housing (broken LED-housing). what i tink is that "tayda" sells the parts directly from the factory without qualitychecking them!

Once again...be warned!

Best regards

MaG2k

Edited by MaG2k

• 2 weeks later...

hey Polykobol,

were do you got the LRE8x1 from? Did you builded it for your self or with the help of Fairlightiii's PCBs...if the last one...as i remember correctly Fairligtiii isnt ready designing the LRE8x1 or did you mean you finished an LRE8x2?

for the firmeware of the 32bit cores you have to use the MidiBox NG Firmeware http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_download.html

and on the SD-Card you have to store the LRE8x2.ngc file http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=/trunk/apps/controllers/midibox_ng_v1/cfg/templates/lre8x2.ngc from T.K.

You have to change the file to fit your configuration.

I didn't testet it with an 8bit core. because thatswhy i don't know much about the software and configuration on that...you should contact fairlightiii for that topic!

Regards

MaG2k

Hi MaG2k.

were do you got the LRE8x1 from?

I made some prototype during the previous BO and we have shared about it with Polykobol in this time.

He prefered to choose this model even if it was a prototype (= not yet tested).

The board is 30cm long and the pitch between the controlers is slightly more little than the LRE8x2.

I have some spare PCBs, if you are interested email or PM me.

Regards,

Jerome.

Hi MaG2k.

Edited by Fairlightiii

• 1 month later...