A silly question about knobs

Sim

Hello everyone, I have a pretty dumb question.  I have ordered 15 encoders for my MB-6582 control surface, and the shaft size is 20mm, however I'm not sure what the size of the knobs I order for them should be.  I assume they shouldn't be the same (as in 20mm) but I'm not sure.  I did a search around the forums to see if this had been asked before, and tried to compare other peoples builds to part sizes but couldn't find any for-sure answer. 

Thanks for any help!

Most likely the encoders come with a 6mm D-shaft. The flat is 4.5mm so this is the standard shaft, unless you go for a splined, a.k.a T18 serrated shaft. There are also 4mm and 6mm plain shafts, and 1/4" (6.35mm). Anywho, enough with the shaft sizes, it is a 6mm D-shaft if you got the recommended part.

The nut that you normally want covered is either a M7 or M9 so you want a knob with a base diameter 12-13mm minimum. Of course, you should go for the aesthetically correct choice and join the Albs "Waldorf" knob bulk order that was just announced :)

It is not easy to find "plain Jane" knobs without an indicator line for encoders.

Edited by jojjelito
  • Like 1

Of course, you should go for the aesthetically correct choice and join the Albs "Waldorf" knob bulk order that was just announced :smile:

Aesthetics is one criteria, another one is ergonomics. In that respect I still find the Waldorf knobs suboptimal. For encoders I'd prefer knobs that measure less in diameter than the Waldorf ones.

Aesthetics is one criteria, another one is ergonomics. In that respect I still find the Waldorf knobs suboptimal. For encoders I'd prefer knobs that measure less in diameter than the Waldorf ones.
Actually I agree with you. I wish it was easy to get hold of the good old Re'an P401 (the Sammich knob). I think that production is ongoing for their 16mm and 16mn soft-touch knobs, as well as the hard tri-color knobs. Rapid Electronics carry those at reasonable prices. All those knobs at Rapid are for T18 shafts, BTW.