Replace fadercontrollers in Digidesign Control 24 with MBHP_MF_NG´s

Teig1

Hi

Backgroud:

I´m currently repairing my Control 24 unit. I´ve so far replaced severals controller cards in the unit, unfortunately I still have 2 faders that does not "behave" correctly... Dealing with Avid support is uhm....put nicely.... HARD!!... Most answers I get from repairshops is like "the unit is way beyond - End of life"....

Sadly there are no schematics or any documentation of the unit available.....

My current status is the console is working 99%. The only thing that may fix this unit to near 100% functionality is to change the Main controller card (called CUB)...... or retrofit the faderboards with MBHP_MF_NG!!!

I frequently stop my Midibox community to update me on the news... and last night I saw the light ;-)

My plan now is to give up crying for support from Avid, and do the retrofit for the faders (as of now).... If Avid descide to stop support for these devices in PT11,,,, I can expand this project by replacing the guts of the rest of the unit....

Plan:

Purchase

3x MBHP_MF_NG modules

1x Core LPC17 module

My power supply have both 10vdc and 5 vdc

I basicly have to get the cards going and connect it the existing faders.

Questions:

Do I need the Core module? I am to control 24 faders.

If I can drop the Core module, can I link the 3 boards according to the midibox link doc? and use HUI protocols in Protools?

If I need the core module; will the USB to midi need any drivers/software to work in OSX? (I belive I cannot use OSC to control Protools)

Is the LPCXPRESSO the same as SmashTV refers to as MagJack?

Sorry about the long post, and I hope you understand what I´m´trying to explain....

Brgds from Norway

Ole Peder

Edited by Teig1

Hi Teig1

Your lucky! With those Powersupplys you are in a good position. And all thoughts are correct. 

Yes you will need the Core module, it will give you access to conect to your DAW over the USB connection witch doesn't need any drivers. It connects over Midi-over-USB. There will be no need of OSC for your proposal.

You may need to use the HUI Protocol because of ProTools (if thats your DAW?)

So your Setup wold be a LPC32_Core connected to MF_NG over one of the 4 Midi Ports (i think TK. suggested Midi3 somewhere in this forum, i just can't find it anymore...) anyhow its possible to connect over every Midi-port...

After chaining all the MF_NG, return to the Input of the same Midi-port...

I think to understand its easier with a schematic...

post-10711-0-84280100-1357994677_thumb.j

Hello and welcome here!

Yours sounds like a very interesting project - and definitely worthwhile. Avid has been a pain to deal with ever since, and they have a long history of dropping support for end-of-life products always too soon. Been there, and then turned away from them.

The MBHP_MF_NG modules can be operated stand-alone. You can use MIOS Studio to configure each of them separately, and then connect them to your MIDI host. Your host will then have to talk to them over separate physical MIDI ports, one for each group of eight faders. There is also a merger available in each of the MF_NG modules, so yes, you can also chain them into one MIDI chain. Whether this is supported by the HUI protocol is beyond my state of knowledge, though!

To be clear about this: you do not necessarily need a(nother) core module (there is a "tiny" 8-bit core/CPU on each MF_NG module) to get your faders operational. However, if you plan to replace the remaining innards with MIDIbox components, that will be the way to go.

The LPCXPRESSO is the processor board that sits atop the 32-bit core board which is usually referred to as the LPC17 board. LPCXPRESSO is kind of a "shield" that must be purchased separately, and which contains the CPU. It saves us from having to solder SMD components.

The MagJack is a network cable connector with integrated LEDs - it is soldered to the LPC17 board and can be left out if you do not want to use OSC.

Where in Norway are you located? If that is close to Trondheim, pop in for a coffee and we can discuss if you have more questions!

Best, ilmenator

Hi

Thanks for answering my post.

Novski: Picture explainet very well howto, thanks :-)

Ilmenator:  I Live In Elverum, not very close to Trondheim (used to live there tho...)  Thanks for the cofeeinvite!  I sure would have done that..... If you prefer Norwegian, we can "chat" in the Norwegian thread (If I recall correctly you native Language is German?)

I guess I must try the HUI protocoll in real life.. (I have a Mackie HUI and a Yamaha 4416 laying around... those units should be able to Control chanel 1-16)

I will order 3 MF_NG modules and try that as a start.  (I actually only need 1 MF_NG to fix my surface as only faderboard B software is faulty...)

LPCXPRESSO/Magjack..... Ahaaa!!! :-) Thnx

Thanks again for you replies.  This community rox, and ofc. TK !!!

(I´ve been lurking here for years,,,, under alias mjproc.... but I lost my password.... :no: )

I just tested two HUI´s in protools.  

running them in serial will not work.  1st HUI will control fader 1 and 9, 2 and 10 etc.  2nd HUI will only control fader 1 - 8

Running them on two interfaces works perfectly!!  In protools I can address 4 different HUI´s through MIDI,  they will show with different color in the mixer in PT.

Conclusion:  I must use novski´s plan. 

3xMF_NG + 1xLPC17 over USB.

Will using the USB result in 4 seperate MIDI I/O´s in protools (or any other DAWs) ?

Edited by Teig1

Alternatively you could just use a GM5x5x5 to collect the MIDI I/Os and convert that into a single USB cable. There was a bulk order recently, maybe someone has spares?

Edit: unless you do some programming, novski's setup still only gives you 24 faders on the same MIDI port. For Protools that is in no way different from chaining the three MF modules and hooking them up via MIDI proper.

Edited by ilmenator

Ok, to sum things up....

I'll use 3xMF_NG + 1xLPC17 over USB and use 3 seperate midi io from LPC17, one to each of the MF_NG.  This will hopefully give me 3 seperate midi devices in OSX. 

If someone can confirm this, it would be great. :rolleyes: