anyone interested in nice jog wheels?

John E. Finster

hi, i´d like to ask around if anyone would be interested in getting a nice looking jog wheel from OKW "Star-Knobs".

they consist of three parts that one can install through the frontpanel (look at the second pic).
the encoder is NOT included, but any encoder can be used, that has a 6mm shaft, a 15-20mm axis and a M7 threat (e.g. ALPS STEC11 or BOURNS PEC11).

i want to order some sets soon, but i have to get at least ten sets. they´re not cheap, but compared to what Conrad charges for those, it´s quite affordable. i couldn´t find them anywhere else.

1 Set  - 15€/set
50 Sets - 12€/set

for individual components:

assembly kit (Montage-Set)   10€/piece -    8€/50+pieces

star knob                                  3€/piece - 2,5€/50+pieces

Cap                                          2€/piece - 1,5€/50+pieces

a complete list of available components is attached.

the installation tool (german: Montagehilfe) cost - 5€ a piece, but it is not absolutely necessary to use it to install the knob. 

prices are incl. german vat. but they are are only good until end of february, they will be raised after that (i can not tell how much).

they come in black and grey and with or without pimples (german: Noppen) around the cap.

i just want to see if anyone is interested. if so, i could start a bulk order.

sorry for my english. just ask if anything is unclear.

Greets

OKW_Merkliste.pdf

Edited by JEFinster

I used this jogwheel from OKW on my bpm controller, the jogwheel is nice and built well however you must get some teflon grease as the wheel will rub on the casing. You will need to make a small mounting board for the encoder as well with the relative screw holes. I am sure i have a spare one here somewhere i will dig it out and put some pics up. 

it is a very nice wheel assembly though.

I have bought a lot of items from OKW.

hi ssp, thanks for the input. i have a new set here (the nice people at OKW provided me with a free sample) but i had not yet had the opportunity to build it in. it seems to me that the encoder can be fixed with a nut if it has a threat without the need of a mounting board (please correct me if i am wrong about this).

i am sorry for the objectiion, but this wheel has two nuts ( :rolleyes:).

one for the encoder to build it into the jog wheel and one for the shaft. the second one is located on the knob itself.

EDIT: Found the assembling manual. here you can see the encoder built in with its own nut, but you have to get this one seperately.

Edited by JEFinster

ok the nut is for an encoder, however you can only use it if the hole in the rear mount plate is the same diameter with tolerance as the diameter of the threaded shaft on your encoder, mine was the wrong size it was all they had at the time so i mounted it on a rear mount board. if your using an alps or bourne encoder the centre hole needs to be 9mm, so you may need a 9mm drill bit and make the hole larger so yuu can use the nut the other side.

Edited by ssp

i just looked at some other schematics and i have to give you this one  :happy: . the hole for the encoder is in fact only 7mm. so only encoders with a M7 threat fit through that hole. there are some ALPS (e.g. STEC11) and also some BOURNS (e.g. PEC11) encoders which have a M7 threat and possibly others, but not all encoders fit.

this is valuable info, thanks a lot. i will put it on the start topic.

i´ll order directly from OKW. for a bulk order it would be easier to handle complete sets but i have to order seperate components anyway.

so, yes, i can order individual components.

prices for the individual components would be

assembly kit (Montage-Set)   10€ ( 50+pieces 8€)

star knob   3€ ( 50+pieces 2,5€)

Cap   2€ (50+pieces 1,50€)

i attach a complete list of available components to the initial topic.

if i make that bulk order, i will order the knobs at the end of february. it depends on how many people want to join though. i would order 2 sets and maybe an additional knob and cap (just in case i ever get bored of pimples  :happy: ). it would be a shame to let this opportunity slip before the prices go up, but i just can´t afford to buy the required amount right now by myself.

so, it´s great to have you on board. you bring us one step closer.... :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...