MIDI to trigger

Antix

Hi,

Giving a look around the forum I haven't yet found the answer about.

can MIDIO128 ( any version ) generate trigger pulse or can generate only ON/OFF signals?

Someone seems already ask for this but seems solved with sequencer trigger outputs.

Probably I can solve with a flip flop on the output who works on the rising front to generate a pulse

but at this point I should ask if the new MIDIO128 will be implemented will a feature like this ( if possible and if people

consider it useful ).

Best regards

Antix

A topic was started back in 2008 for this very function so that Stop Action Magnets (SAM's) could be controlled by some of the organ software being developed at that time.  The pulse time would have to be at least 80ms long but no longer than 500ms. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I am going to spent some evening with MIDIO128 ver2 ( PIC based ).

I know is better the new version but for some experimentation the PIC is OK. ( I think :smile: )

reading documentation i read :

" it is only important that the last input shift register is terminated with ground "

Is the pin 10  (ser ) of the shift register that have to be grounded?

And if I dont need SRIN but only SEROUT I have to ground ( terminate ) the same the DIN chain wire on J9 ?

Effectively ATM  I dont need DIN but only DOUT .

Do This version if MIDIO128 support the LCD? It seems to me no as I read.

So MIDI channel have to be setted with MIOS STUDIO ?

Thanks for any help

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

I am curious as to what you want to control?

I can't answer how important it is to terminate the last input shift register to ground. I do know that I wrote software for this CORE and I didn't do this even though I used a Din board for my 14 push buttons. It doesn't make sense to me but maybe others will know about the reason for grounding of the pin for Midio128.

The old Midio128 does use the display to show status changes and values sent out the Midi interface but not much else. The MIOS STUDIO is the easiest way to read and update the tables for the pins on the DIN & DOUT boards.   One problem that I have found with even the V3 software is that the DOUT tables only have 2 saved parameters per pin. The first byte is for the Channel and message event. The second byte is used for the event number. It is my understanding that when the 3rd byte of the Midi message is received that if the values is >63 that the pin will be set ON and if <=63 that the pin is turned OFF. You will have to do your own experimentation to see if this is the case.

If you are going to write your own program for the PIC, you will need to know how to use the functions that are supported in the MIOS. If interested, go to http://www.ucapps.de/ then navigate to MIOS->Functions->MIOS8(for PIC) Assembly API. There you will find a large list of all functions and what parameters are passed when the function is called.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just would try to use MIDIO128 to generate a pulse to trigger sound generator like drones or analog drum sound and so on.

So I need only SEROUT for my intents.

About configurating with MIOS STUDIO I think is the more comfortable way , asked about the LCD only for a minimum control surface use

to change "on the fly" MIDI channel or other minor parameters and in the MIDIO128 V2 page I dont read any about a control surface or LCD.

I am looking in the forum too but since now I havent found informations that can help me ( or simply I search in the wrong way ).

A this point I will solder a core and burn a PIC with the MIDIO128 firmware and will see what I can do.

If you have any link about this argument to show me I will be grateful.

Best regards

Antonio