Infilling panel engravings... quick, easy, and clean !

artyman

Now that I can engrave my own panels... I was thinking of how to infill them - paint is too messy and fiddly, ink would be the same, then I saw my daughter's art materials box, and had an idea !!!

The technique is simple and gives excellent results:-

Rub a wax crayon of the colour you want the infill to be over the engraving, making sure there are shavings over the letters.

GENTLY heat the wax with a heat gun on low setting, until the wax melts and runs into the letters.

Allow to cool and set.

GENTLY buff the area with a soft cloth to remove the excess wax left over.

The beauty of this technique is that if there are any spots that didn't get covered, simply repeat the process.

Here are a couple of photos of my first test engraving, now infilled using this technique.

post-7782-0-50441400-1359813814_thumb.jp

post-7782-0-73412500-1359813829_thumb.jp

Hi reboot,

see this thread for the engraving details...

I tried the wax technique mainly because I didn't have any paint handy, and didn't really want to have to wait for it to dry. This technique gives a final result within about 5 mins.

The only disadvantage is that it only really works with metal panels, plastic would not react well to the heat gun, although I haven't tried it on plastic yet, it will be something I will investigate.

Edited by artyman