CV/Gate Breakout/Buffer Board

latigid on

Hi, I haven't routed a board before, so I would appreciate any advice! The top ground plane has been omitted for clarity.

Seeing as I am using an AOUT_NG, my design has the same dimensions and mounting holes. I would stack the AOUT on top of this one with M/F standoffs.

The eight analogue outs and gates are brought out to a DB-25 connector. The gates are either buffered or amplified to approximately 12V, selectable via jumpers. I am using a 100k/71.5k voltage divider for approximately 2.4x gain. At a 15V supply a 100k/50k combination would provide a gain of 3. One could also mount a variable resistor instead of the jumpers for more control. This works on paper, but I am wondering if the op amp will swing right up to its rails? 

There is a spare buffer for the DIN sync/start connections also. I haven't figured out libraries in Eagle yet so some of the parts aren't quite right. <<Hmm, they probably need current-limiting resistors too....>>

I am not sure how to power things inside my SEQ yet. Building a linear triple output PSU looks to be the best, but I may try a switch- mode unit. In this case power would be supplied at J1 and a daisy chain output is at J15 on the right-hand side.

Perhaps it isn't quite the right thing to do, but I have isolated the grounds for the AOUT and gate signals. The ground for the gates can be tied to the same ground as the AOUT signals.

Lastly, I have included pins for a DC-DC converter in case the SPSU doesn't work out. The two footprints on the top left of the board are for the muRata NMV0512SC and the Recom RS-0512D. It might be wise to include an inductor-capacitor circuit which can supposedly reduce the ripple voltage down to 5 Vpp.

Thanks for looking and please share your thoughts!

• 1 month later...

A few layout modifications and I have ditched the ground isolation. An LC filter was added which might be useful for a SPSU or DC-DC converter. Everything is labelled. I think I will go through 

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=135_134

seeing as they do DHL shipping for a cheap price.

Final thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a few chores I managed to make all of the connections to the SEQ today. Everything fits, although I did have to shave down the SIL headers for the 15 mm clearance below the AOUT_NG.

I'm off for a week tomorrow, so you'll have to "watch this space" :)

I think that we're over the 8 boards that I have available, but there's always the possibility that people back out etc. I am currently waiting on a bit of advice with regard to level-shifting the gates from the STM32 core, I'd rather not fry my pins :)

I'm happy to organise another run if there is demand for one.