Crashing MIDIBOX.ORG

kpete

I don't know whats going on here but it looks like I may be crashing the forum server. The last time I did this I checked that the server was up and running OK. I then go to my local TRUNK directory on my C: drive then right click and select TortoiseSVN->Repo-browser and use the URL link of svn://svnmios.midibox.org/mios32 and the browser window is displayed with a message of “â€Please wait while the repository browser is initializingâ€. It then times out after about 1-2 minutes with an error. After doing this the http://midibox.org/forums/ link doesn't work anymore.

I am working with a PC running Windows 7 64 bit.

Something that I do remember: I was running with an old version of SVN when I created the TRUNK on the C: drive on Jan 14, 2013. About 2 weeks later I then updated to the latest TortoiseSVN software. After compiling the Midio128 V3 software, I find that my compiled version of the .HEX file is having issues connecting up to MIOS STUDIO. Looks like problems with the change from 2 port to 4 port Midi support (Boot loader version problem). So now I want to update my TRUNK with the latest changes which I can't do due to the server crashing. Has anyone heard of or seen this type of problem before or is it just a coincidence?

Pete

Hello, fellow name brother ;-)

(SmashTV knows what I am talking about, it seems, that we share the same pre and surname and he once told me, that he felt like I was kidding him, ordering from the US now ;-)).

Subversion surely can have a lot of impact on server installations, especially certain operations make the disks on the server go berzerk... This could cause the forum software (which is a completely different software installation) to lag behind a bit, but it usually should not cause the site to completely time out. So my first guess is, that it might be a local installation problem at your side. On the other hand, it could be, that the many disk requests of the subversion server starve the IP.Board forum software, I have seen similar IO starvation on other servers, and they are quite often caused by SATA disks and too drastic OS write-behind caching, which may starve the whole system for some time.

A timed subversion "attack" with someone else testing the forums (e.g. coordinated via chat) might solve the mystery on which side the problem occurs.
If it is MIDIbox server-sided, I´d recommend to test with turned-off SATA write-behind caching.

But I really think, that it is a local problem on your side, otherwise the problem would already have occured much earlier.

Many greets,
Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi Peter,

My real name is Pete Knobloch. In English the K is silent. An old girl friend gave me a nickname of Kaa-pete and I decided to use it as my user name here. Of course being German you should know what Knobloch is.

Back to the issue. If it is my problem, I don't want my testing to impact or compromise the forum server if it does cause the site to crash. Yesterday it seemed to be down for a long time. This morning only for less than 1 hour. I don't know where the server is or who is responsible for it. Would just want some direction before I try to do an update to my hard drive again.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just tested a normal subversion checkout and update, and nothing bad happened, the server was still responsive, so I would not be afraid, that you can crash it when performing further tests! If you are sure, that the server is unresponsive (and others confirm that), you could mail Twin-X, who does the administration - he might have some more information.

Many greets,

Peter

OK Peter,

I am going to try to update my Midio128_v3 directory that has only 28 files in it. If that works I will be trying to update my entire tree since I think I have an issue in one of the module functions.

I'm going to do this at 1:30 AZ time. Which is about 3 min. from now. Hope it doesn't create problems.

Pete

Don't panic, you are not crashing the server! :)

It seems that Twin-X has installed a new firewall protection which is sensitive to the SVN port 3690

Whenever you are accessing SVN, your IP will be blocked for at least one hour.

I can reproduce this at my side as well... the server was still accessible from my mobile network.

I informed Twin-X about this issue, hopefully it will be possible to exclude the SVN port from this mechanism!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you Thorsten,

That answers why the site looks like it goes down. This whole exercise caused me to look at the install documentation at http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/windows_toolchain_svn. It indicates to load TortoiseSVN-1.4.8 I currently have the latest version of 1.7.11. I uploaded this new version about 2 weeks ago because I kept getting messages to update it. Is it OK to use this newer version or should I go back to the older one.

Pete