Lcd Going "black"

Tron77

Hi There It is been a wile, but I encountered the following problem:

My Lcd (2x20) suddenly got only A black bar on the top row.

I  have made one change: I made a proper pcb for the power supply instead of a breadboard. Everything works fine, but fine I only got 4.95 V. and 13.91V for 2 SID.s Could this small difference be the problem?

Kind Regards,

Youri

Highly unlikely, the 4.95V volts are well within the tolerance of any given LCD (how precise is your meter anyways :wink:). 

Is the black bar just one pixel or is the entire first row filled with black blocks?

nIls, Thanks for the reply.

It Is the complete top row. It is A Oriental Display DM2002B. And I had some problems with the CAN bus interface -it could not detect my second sid- although I followed every step for the upgrade. But every else worked fine and it did not bothered me that much at that point.

I tested the lcd back in 8-bit mode on an older Pic-core and that worked fine, so it is not fried.

Then I looked up the specs for the screen and thought I found that the problem in wrong wiring (I wired it according to the 2002C instead to the 2002B type).

But now Backlight and brightness are not working and I still have the blackrow, so the previous should have been the right one.

thanks in advance, Youri

[edit]

I also did a complete reprogram of Mios 1.9 and then the Sid 2 Application with the only thing that uploading with LCD gives the error #11 midi-in Overun. And without not.

[edit2]

How should I read the numbers on the LCD when the are not on a straight line? so I have 2 lines of 8 next to each other where, looking from above, the left bottom has 1 and the top right has a 16. I soldered from left(1)-right(2), left(3)-right(4), etc. again it did work, but just to be shure.

Edited by Tron77

How should I read the numbers on the LCD when the are not on a straight line? so I have 2 lines of 8 next to each other where, looking from above, the left bottom has 1 and the top right has a 16. I soldered from left(1)-right(2), left(3)-right(4), etc. again it did work, but just to be shure.

with the other way around you would have already fried your LCD ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.