Bootloader problems with Midio128 V3.015

kpete

I'm not sure whats going on but am having issues with getting the "set single_usb 1" command to work.  I have been installing Bootloader V1.012 into the LPC unit with jumper J27 installed.  I then remove the jumper with power on and it goes thru a process that looks like its copying the code into the shadow Boot ROM then see the "Up to Date message".  Unplugging the LPC unit and restarting MIOS Studio 2.4.2 seems to work properly.  When I query the core with only boot loader loaded, I see a message that says "Bootloader 1.012" on the second to the last line of the message window.  The "set single_usb 1" commad is recognized.

Problems start to happen when I load Midio128 V3.015.  This code seems to be overlaying the new boot loader with an older version for some reason.  After loading I get an error of "Unknown set parameter: 'single_usb" when I try to set it again.  Now if I power the LPC unit down and instert J27 back into the board and power it up again and do a query, it shows a message of "MIOS32 Bootloader" without any version number and the last line (Copywrite line) shows as "© 2012 T. Klose" rather than the 2013 copy write message.

Am I doing something wrong or do we have a problem?

Pete

It behaves like expected:

When I query the core with only boot loader loaded, I see a message that says "Bootloader 1.012" on the second to the last line of the message window.  The "set single_usb 1" commad is recognized.

Actually the "Bootloader Update Application" is running here.

Only this application provides the "set single_usb" command to enable this option.

Problems start to happen when I load Midio128 V3.015.  This code seems to be overlaying the new boot loader with an older version for some reason.

Yes, the MIDIO128 application replaces the Bootloader Update Application

After loading I get an error of "Unknown set parameter: 'single_usb" when I try to set it again.

because the MIDIO128 application doesn't provide the "set single_usb" command. This flag should only be changed with the update app

Now if I power the LPC unit down and instert J27 back into the board and power it up again and do a query, it shows a message of "MIOS32 Bootloader" without any version number and the last line (Copywrite line) shows as "© 2012 T. Klose" rather than the 2013 copy write message.

Correct - the actual bootloader is running here (and not the update app)

It has no version number (background: the binary is still equal to V1.010, only the update app has been enhanced by some new options in V1.011 and V1.012 - in order to avoid confusion, the bootloader itself is not versionized)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for responding so quickly TK. So its working correctly.  I was having problems understanding when these options can be entered. Very little information found on how to set these options, only what they do.  Maybe I just don't know where to look.  My real problem was that when I entered "set single_usb 1", I thought it was set and would just load the application.  Didn't even know about the "STORE" command which isn't mentioned in the bootloader documentation.  The only reason I thought to investigate further was due to the message that said "Forcing of a Single USB port enabled after 'Store'.  I then entered the store command which made all the difference in the world.

Pete

BTW-The USB port is working great now that I have set the single port option.  I did try powering 2 MidiBoxes on at the same time with some problems but didn't change the device ID so I expected some problems.

Edited by kpete

Thanks for opening my eyes! :)

I updated the bootloader documentation to make clear that the changed parameters need to be stored (in flash memory): http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_bootstrap_newbies.html

Great to know that the single_usb option solves the USB issues.

Powering two MIDIboxes at the same time: at power-on they will consume a bit more power than during runtime. Are your MIDIboxes supplied from the PC, or from an USB hub with external PSU (recommended)?

Changing the device ID won't solve this (actually you don't need a different ID if the MIDIboxes are accessed from dedicated USB ports)

Best Regards, Thorsten.