OSX midi routing tools

I'm having trouble setting up in OSX what was easy under Windows/MIDI-Ox: 

I simply wish to monitor MIDI streams with a GM5x5 including SysEx messages.

But I'd like a soft thru connectivity so I can just connect a GM5 port inline with the midi cable I want to monitor.

I've tried the Snoize MIDI monitor which is o.k but does not have any assignable soft through function (that I can see).

Next I've tried Midipipe which is a great concept, except that in practice it does not seem to recognise or pass through SysEx messages (though it says it should).

Is there some driver setting in the system which filters SysEx message before apps see them?  (although MIOS Studio seems o.k using USB)

I've had no luck, even setting up OSX Reaper to route the midi pass thru with the same problem: Sysex not getting through.

Thank you.

Now that I have 4 route-able USB MIDI ports on all my MIOS devices, the midi monitoring and trouble shooting is much better and easier.

I simply route each Uart Midi In port to a USB port on each MIOS device. This way it doesn't add latency and the rig will work even if the computer is switched off, nor any does it require additional cables.

When I want to monitor midi, I simply start the midi monitor and can see the midi traffic with even potentially complex setups. Excellent!

Btw.: the best feature of the MIDI Monitor is the "Spy" function, which allows you to display outgoing MIDI streams as well (something what isn't possible under Windows).

It's extremely helpful to determine, which messages are sent to a MIDI device.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

So my rig has at least 3 devices with up to 4 UART MIDI I/O's each, and 4 USB MIDI ports each. 

Very powerful, but easy to get confused.

Some time ago I started using Google Drawing on a Google Drive folder to diagram the interconnections. (So I can refer to the diagram anywhere..) 

An example is here:

The Google drawing tool is not really up to the task.

1. Ideally you want to be able to drag the objects and have the line connections stay.
  2. The objects need to have multiple connection points (say at least 8 for 4 port SEQ)
  3. If you can't label the connection points (e.g Midi In3) then you need to be able to label the arrows between gear.

Do you know of a free, cross platform drawing tool that meets the spec?  

(Just tried Dia which seems to fail criterion 2. and 3.)

Thanks.

Edited by Duggle

Openoffice Draw seems to fit the bill quite well.

You can add "gluepoints" to objects at will. Connectors (curved arrows, etc.) stick to them so that when a block is moved the arrows follow.

Using "group", extra text labels can be added near the gluepoints. In this way it is possible to have, for example a box labelled "SEQV4" with 4 labeled midi in points, 4 midi out points, all with arrows connecting to other similarly drawn items, and drag them around to while editing the diagram. Nice.   

You could consider to use a schematic editor instead, e.g. the one integrated into Eagle.
That's an interesting idea, it would have to be better than Altium in terms of dragging connected components around the sheet. IIRC it is.

Anyhow, I'll roll with OO for now. The curvy arrows are cool. The grouping of graphical features and the snapping to arbitary glue points will allow me to define the items of studio gear (basically only one instance of each).

Well, I'm finding OpenOffice Draw is working perfectly for me.
Can define objects (primitive objects grouped) and drag them around the sheet, the curvy arrows stay connected, and can have sticky labels.

Having the diagram easily available on the desktop really helps too, especially if I change something, add or reorganise the gear.