Oklahoma tornado

ris8_allo_zen0

Hi all,

it's been a long time since the last time I posted here...

I've just heard about the Moore, Oklahoma disaster. I feel really sorry for the population.

I also remembered that two of my orders of nice MIDIbox stuff came from somewhere in Oklahoma, packaged by SmashTV. I don't remember which city, though. I hope that it wasn't one of those hit by the tornado.

SmashTV, are you OK? How are your family and friends?

I hope to hear news soon.

Best regards,

Enrico

I'm taking the liberty to come with a small update. It's only second-hand info, so it's not confirmed by myself, but this dude wrote something on smashTV's facebook, saying he is happy and relieved to hear that neither smashTV or his family was injured during the tornado.... something like that... So, personally, I take that as a confirmation that he is probably alright. The dude is probably just helping where it's needed etc, and I'm sure he'll be back here to yell at me for copying his facebook wall onto this forum :).

Wow, that's a close call. I had a little bit less acurate information (chart from norwegian newspaper) that made it look like it went right over his rooftop, If this is correct it's definetly good news (relatively good news that is) :). At least our hammerman is ok!

I spent the whole afternoon in front of the computer to watch this, and also the whole way home from work :P. It's relieving to know that he and his family seems to be ok.

For all those who aint in the IRC channel - a guy passed through with some solid news.

I think situation calls for a small recap:

" just wanted to give you the heads up that SmashTV and entire family are fine in OKC!"
"They have no power and are off-line.  He wanted me to tell the room that they are ok in Oklahoma City!"
"yes... no power, no net connection.  Kindof cut off from the world for a bit.  Don't really know when it will all be back up and running, but he wanted to tell everyone he and his fam survived the storms"

Basically a part of the conversation between <midiboxer_372> (a friend of SmashTV's) and bugfight.

So then it's definetly confirmed! :D thankgod!

Thanks guys sorry I worried you!

Please pray for the people who lost loved ones.

I live roughly 5 minutes by foot away from this surreal nightmare.  I rode bikes and played here as a kid, back when kids spent the day outside.

The response has been amazing.  The minute you step on scene it restores your faith in humanity.

Best regards

Tim

Thanks for the sign of life! :smile:

How did you experience the tornado? According to the newspapers it was one of the worst ever!

Is it almost so horrible like in the destroyed area at your place, or not worse like after a heavy storm?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I watched it from here.  Impossible to correctly describe.  Similar to standing near the tracks with a heavy freight train moving fast multiplied by 5.  Intense sound, the ground shakes, low and high velocity debris.

(disclaimer: do not ever do this.  I had two separate real time radar feeds going which gave me plenty of time to decide whether to stay or get out of the way.  Without live info and an understanding of what it means the only correct move is to seek shelter underground.)

Definitely one of the worst ever in regards to damage.  Awareness/advance warning had a large effect on the death toll, as did the response.  Within an hour they had military and law enforcement helicopters scanning the area with thermal imaging systems.  This helped quickly rescue over a hundred people trapped in debris.

Here it looks more like after a heavy storm.  Some trees down and a lot of dust from insulation. 

My location marked on the CNN map linked in the post above:

post-3497-0-87608800-1369327574_thumb.jp

original image credit CNN w/edit by smashtv

Before/after Moore Medical Center:

post-3497-0-69494700-1369338055_thumb.jp

(upper) image credit Google - (lower) photo credit Richard Rowe / Reuters

Before/after Moore Bowl:

post-3497-0-13769500-1369338923_thumb.jp

(upper left and upper right) photo credit mrs. smashtv - (lower) photo credit Richard Rowe / Reuters

An old friend (one of the kids I used to ride bikes with!) grew up to be a fire chief for Oklahoma City FD, this photo he posted on facebook of his crew at Plaza Towers shows the "Oklahoma standard" better than words can describe:

post-3497-0-78271900-1369340164_thumb.jp

photo credit Mike Walker

Best regards

Tim