MIDIbox TIA - Atari 2600 Synth

Antichambre

Transistors and crystal are not rare parts, transistors are common 2N3906, crystal is used commonly in video analog circuit.
For the crystal it depends on your casing, if you want to use the cartridge format, 'low profile' is required, you will have to use this package:
HC-49/US

BR
Antichambre

Edited by Antichambre

Hi Yogi,

Good to get someone who check my work, It's a mistake. I think I only have got this one in my eagle library, I placed it without changing its value. And I exported the error in the BOM too.
Then YES! :blush:  there's a big advantage to use the 'MB Standard' :innocent:
Will correct Now. Thank you...

Antichambre

Well... will have to ask one more question. Does the Manager work, knobs move and such, without a MB TIA connected? I ended up having to install 5.1.9 runtime, which is Very old, to install on this Very old XP box. The Manager opens OK (I think, the graphics look correct), but most controls are grayed out. When I 'play' the keyboard it sends midi Note On/Off messages so that's hopeful. And it detects all the midi interfaces connected.

Also the startup log shows a lot of errors, so I'm afraid MaxMSP 5 is just too old (and this PC also). Seems like time to upgrade :confused:

Yogi

No :happy: it seems to be good, manager scans all your port at startup, it tries to find a TIA with ID=0. All is gray because it didn't find anything. No MB-TIA connected(still in red).
You know that it's not the TIA chip which communicate with the manager, then if you've got a CORE push the FW inside, and try again. It must work with the internal preset(patch) without BS.
Don't kill your XP if you like it, I kept a 98 SE during a long time too, I undersand. My PC runs under 7 no 8 no 10 ;)

Edited by Antichambre

Very good to hear, I was hoping the Manager works this way. Will setup a foo 'MB TIA' core :happy:

If I can hang on to this PC a little longer it would be good. It's a little like an old house, too small and the roof leaks sometimes but the thought of moving is worse. But for day to day use the issues stack up. BTW, still have a W98 box, but it's just for Adlib tracking. Has a YMF719 OPL3 on the mobo; unique old Sony Vaio desktop. Purple case and very non-box shaped; even have the matching Purple KB. So OK, I have a problem 'letting go' :happy:

Yogi

• 2 weeks later...

A little heads up, just received my parts order, based on the TIA BOM. The resisters are a little oversized, about 3-5mm longer than the average 1/4w package(and wider by about 2mm). It shouldn't be a issue for the board footprints, being vertical mounted, but may be too tall (?) without needing to 'lean' the resistor some.

Anyway, looking forward to the boards

Yogi

Hi Antichambre, not so much an error, because the values and power ratings are correct. It's just the package style for the Vishay Dale RN60 series, CMF 20 Mil spec at 9.5mm x 3.5mm. The RL07 series is 6mm x 2mm, which is what we normally see size wise for a 1/4w. 

The RNs will work but will be tighter in the case. If you like I can go through the BOM and select smaller Rs, preferer Vishay or price (as other brands can be 1/2 the cost of Vishay)?

Yogi

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I made one to check before closing the bulk.
- I've got some modifications to do in the Mouser BOM.
- Some adjustment for the drilling cart.
- Add a v2 version in firmware because TIA data register pinout differs from v1.
- Change on the silkscreen for Audio Out Config Legend(to be seen with any IC socket).

That's all!

And It rocks!!!

No more noise and crossover, it sounds clear now ;)
large.IMG_4405.jpg.727961be659835028d45blarge.IMG_4403.jpg.ee98d1e1ed82974d64874

I think I will close the bulk in January. Then... More interested people???

• Like 1

Hi Mr Spring ;)

On the first version, because of the position of the TIA on the board, I made the mistake to supply everything else before it, this caused a crosstalk of midi (audible freqs) to the audio output.
Now TIA is powered separately. Two different circuit from regulator output, this is the dash lines on the board ;)
Then, there's no more noise. I haven't got any precise audio lab tool for noise floor measure but it's less than -70dB, which is already good enough.

BR