optical encoders again..

sprintf

thers quite little bout optical encoders in this forum ,though i read a lot bout mouse wheels i still dont know how optical encs are supported in general by mios . due to higher res. i really favour opticals . as stecs or pecs only provide a max. resolution of 24 which gives 96 steps at x4, i´d love to have at least 32 x4 per revolution.

my question is if those 10k resistors on the DINX_INs are there to debounce the mech. encoders ? if so may i leave out the 10k´s if optical encoders are preferd ?

further i read into encoders from CUI with 32 pos. p. rev. - they state a 5.1 k pull-up on their channels which is confusing to me. (they dnt really need debouncing)

http://www.cui.com/product/resource/c14.pdf

anyone could explain to me if i could exchange the 10k on DINX_IN to 5.1 whilst using those encoders. ?

thank you for your time.

Optical encoders are basically overkill in MIDIbox applications. If you want higher resolution you can go for a resolution of 30 (whatever unit you are refering to). Beyond that it starts to get impractical for various reasons - one is precision of the setting (it is difficult for your hand and brain to adapt to such high resolutions), another is scan frequency through a chain of shift registers.

Debouncing is done in software and not through the 10k resistors. These are pull-ups. Of course you can insert an arbitrary value there, but you might want to keep in mind Ohm's law and make sure your circuit does not eat up too much power... 10k is a common value.