track leds / group leds confusion

John E. Finster

Hi, I´m a little confused by the track and group leds of my seq4:

In my seq4 I only built in 4 track buttons with which I select the group, when I´m in the pattern screen. But I added 4 green leds for the current group as well as 4 yellow leds for the curren group. This works almost all the time, the current track and group is correctly indicated.

But when I´m in the pattern screen, the green track led also indicates the current group. I was under the impression, that the track and group leds always indicate tracks and groups, even in the pattern screen. 

I tripplechecked the wiring and I don´t think this is a hardware problem. Is there something in the hardware config file I overlooked? Or am I missunderstanding somthing about the leds/button assignments or even the seq4 system completely?

Thanks and greetings

But when I´m in the pattern screen, the green track led also indicates the current group. I was under the impression, that the track and group leds always indicate tracks and groups, even in the pattern screen. 

No, especially for users of the legacy-frontpanel which doesn't provide group LEDs and buttons, the LEDs have to display the group in this screen.

It's consistent from my point of view: the track buttons select the group in this page, accordingly the track LEDs should display the according function as well, otherwise this wouldn't be consistent.

So: no special treatment between legacy and wilba's frontpanel, nothing special to configure or understand, no hidden switches and no obscure options to be set in the HWCFG file.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi, it´s me again...

I was playing with my seq4 this morning and I was able to confirm my confusion again.

when I´m not in the pattern screen, the green leds show the selected track, the yellow leds show the group. But when I change into the pattern screen, the green leds immediatly also show the selected group even before I press a track button to select another group. This seems inconsistent to me. If I had assigned some of the buttons to select a group, both leds would still show the group and not track and group.

In the videos on the seq4 page (teaser 1&2), this doesn´t seem to happen. I´m wondering what I could have done different compared to the wilba-seq4.

I´m sorry, if I´m completely on the wrong track and just babbling madly.

My regards

Hi,

from my point of view you are on the wrong track (resp. group ;-)

The handling based on your description is the expected handling.

In the videos on the seq4 page (teaser 1&2), this doesn´t seem to happen.

yes, because at the time I created the video the "vintage panel" wasn't correctly supported, which means the track LED didn't display the group - but the track buttons select the group...

This was a bug complained by the "vintage panel" users, and I fixed it.

In addition, I see now reason why somebody would like to select a track in the pattern page.

You are requesting a different handling, but this would mean that I would have to add a "private" option for you, which isn't used by myself (and most users).

Is it really worth the effort? I don't think so.

Especially since I confirmed, that your hardware is working correctly?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi TK, thanks for the info.

I see now, what went wrong. It is definitely not necessary to implement a special option just for my seq4 built. especially, since even I consider this a minor issue. The main reason I brought this up here was, that I couldn´t understand if there were anything I could have done wrong.

On the other hand, I can be sure now, that my seq4 works properly.

Thanks again for the help and the patience.

my regards

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I made the "bug" work again  :D . My track leds always show the selected track and my group leds always show the selected group inside the pattern screen now. I looked at the old source revisions and investigated, what you changed from 4.019 to 4.020.

I´m sorry for being overly excited about this, even I considered this, if at all, a mere aesthetic issue. But somehow I couldn´t let this go....

And now, I don´t have to    :laugh: . For now at least....

my regards

Edited by John E. Finster