STM32F4 Discovery

niklasni1

Oh. Maaaaaaaannn... I purchased the wrong disco board!!!  :hmm:  

Does there exist a solution for the STM32F401C-DISCO by now? I don't see it in the bootloader .zip file so i assume not. But wanted to ask first, because i have to order a new one if not...

If this already helps, let me know about the changes and I will consider MIOS32_PROCESSOR=STM32F401VC in the main branch, so that you can use a common repository again.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Best regards

Novski

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The STM32F401 is very limited, most major applications (such as MBNG, MBSEQ) wouldn't fit into the small flash memory.

However, before you throw it away, you could send it to me so that I can provide (and test) a MIOS32 variant for this chip for the case that somebody want's to use it for less complex applications like MIDIO128

Best Regards, Thorsten.

@TK:

if its that easy to port mios32 to a smaller discovery-board, why not porting it to the "bigger" version:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/7892815/

it costs only a little bit more than the regular F407, but for that you get a touchscreen-lcd, 2MB Flash and a few more bits...

kind regards,

mOnO

Buy me a board, help to write the documentation and support the users who notice compatibility problems (e.g. missing or conflicting pins) with the recommended board, which is the regular STM32F407 STM32F4DISCOVERY

I think that the "bigger" version is only interesting for a small number of persons who are aware of the compatibility issues, can handle that and write their own applications (so, people like you ;-))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

On issue I have with the Big option is that you end up being limited in terms of how to put such a board in various form factors since you'd want to leverage that touchscreen I'm sure and that could dictate how you would approach building something in a limiting way. Can the touchscreen be separated by any means? Because that would be pretty nifty.

@m00dawg: thats exactly the problem with that board! its for prototyping only. you cant use it in a "real" product, at least not with the touchscreen. the pin-header-pins on the "touchscreen"-side of the pcb are too long or in other words higher than the touchscreen itself and no, you cant de-solder the touchscreen. no way to design a frontplate for that. there are 2 tact-switches + the jumpers as well. but apart from that i do like it. it works fine in ucvision, just for a play. it lacks the d/a-converter and the pins are a nightmare. you would have to sort them in your very own spreadsheet in comparision with f407-board for mios32 i suppose...

@tk: i was thinking of that, when i bought it, but because of the reasons above, its not really worth to do that. it would be a nice challenge to port mios32 on that though...

best regards,

mOnO

Edited by mono

It's a trivial challenge, but with the danger that certain users could get the wrong impression that it's a useful option for existing applications ;)

I wouldn't use it by myself...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

i believe, that it would be a "trivial" challenge for you, but its clearly not trivial for me. maybe at some point in the future i will try that. and who knows with which boards st will come up in the future ? But i can see from where you are coming from and i understand that the more boards can be used with mios, the more problems users could come across and managing this could end up in a "full-time" job.

I had a closer look into the mios-sources and i think you could adapt any board like that. the problem is only not to loose the plot with the pins and all the macros.

at the moment 1MB Flash should be more than sufficient anyway even for the "biggest" midi-applications, i can imagine. no need for 2MB Flash anyway.

kind regards,

mOnO