Upgraded my systems recently to Windows 7 and "SCHWOPP!" all my midi interface's was gonners. :sad:

So what to do?

1. Find hacked win98/xp drivers to win7? Tuff luck! :no:

2. Run XP in VMWare and hope youl'd get the drivers to work from within? Hmm.. might work.. :unsure:

3. Make a slave win98 machine and forward it all over LAN to the new one? Now we're talking! :yes: 

(4. The slave win98 machine forwards all ports to a "MIDI to Serial converter" program and..TADAA! you are forwarding 8 or 12 COM ports via LAN and then converts the COM's to MIDI ports again on the Win7 machine...Hmmm.. serious latency risk? Probably but.. could work! Any full RAW MIDI to Serial to MIDI converters out there?)

So.. the problem is to find a program that works by the following orders:

* Support to work under both Win98, XP and Win7.

* Able to forward 8 or hopefully even more MIDIports.

* Bidirectional function.

* Support FULL MIDI, SystemExlusive that is.

* Freeware (or a least affordable for the one with a very slim budget. So those $79,99 commercial versions is off.)

Any suggestions? Tobias Erichsens rtpMIDI is great but only supports XP and not Win98 which tends to be the problems in 99,5% of all those I found out there.

I need the win98! Got some old LPT interface's and serials that wont run under XP.

Known programs (all nonwin98 compliant or not accessable):

Copperlan

rtpMidi - XP, Free!

ethernetMIDI (http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/) Works in Win98 but only the sourcecode remains at the server, no zip file. :hmm:

ipMIDI

MIDI over LAN

Anyone?

Aside from the latency and jitter issue, the slave machine will probably also load the CPUs so much, that the performance of other apps (like your DAW) will be affected.

Therefore an alternative idea: you could cannibalize the MIDI interfaces, at least the case and the MIDI IN/OUT ports + optocoupler circuitry would still be useful. And then just build a Mini-GM5 module into the case, which gives you up to 5 IOs.

Add another one for up to 10 IOs, etc...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, that's one thought...seems a bit sad to ruin it since it works flawless otherwise though.

Ain't those GM5 chips out of stock? Fiddled around but couldn't find any for sale and as of the bulk order is up to 86 of 250 it would take some time to get those... but they're cute little thingies! ;)

So.. anyone that possible having a file called "ethernetmidi-0.0.2.zip" somewhere on their HDD or on a CD/DVD backup? :wink:

Well, loosing hope here in finding chips, the "ethernetmidi-0.0.2.zip" file or equals to match. Guess I'll have to go for the XP version after all.. hmmmm...

Still no one that has any kind of working "MIDI port forwarding" sollution for Windows 98 OR a Linux dist. that supports older LPT, Serial and USB interface's to be used as MIDI slaves?

• 1 year later...