PIC Programmer 2013

novski

Hi 

I broke 2 of my 3 PIC 18F452. sad..  :rolleyes:

So i wold like to be able to Burn my MF_NG Cores myself. I Then whent to the uCapps site and read about burning and the MBHP_Burner.

Because i don't have a Parallel Port i wold like something witch a USB plug instead. 

I searched in the Forum and found this: 

Altitude refers to a Programer on E-bay witch i was able to find on the Distributor on net. this one: http://www.piccircuit.com/shop/pic-programmer/56-ica03-usb-pic-programmer-set.html

But im not shure about the Software to the burner-tool. 

I think Brenner5 will not work.

Does somebody have experience with a USB Burner?

best regards

novski

Hi Novski

I use

- Brenner8 (rev 4) described at http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/projekte/brenner8/ (this was a DIY Kit)

- Brenner8P9smd von Lars described at the same Link (a ready to use device).

Both work flawlessly without any issues.

But I must say that I always must read the related manuals before using them, because they are seldom in operation since I went for MIOS 32 Nexpresso LXP1769

Regards,

Jo

the one I linked is still available cheap on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bid1-iCA01-USB-Microchip-PIC-Programmer-Set-ICSP-Adapter-with-PICkit2-SW-/121183652404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c371bca34, works fine for me and uses the microchip pickit2 software

Stay away from the K150 clones, they do NOT support the bigger chips like the 4685

Thanks for those reports. 

@monokinetic i don't find a Software called PICKit3 as i do for PICKit2. Instead i found MP-LAB-X. What software do you use exactly?

Does MP LAB X suit the needs of a Midibox Bootloader? 

Thanks in advance

novski

When you buy the PICKIT3 unit, it comes with a disk that contains a version of MPLAB that supports the programmer. Any of the newer MPLAB X versions available from Microchip Technologies support the programmer. I have used the older IDE version and it was easy to find the tool. I just loaded the X version and can't find the programmer option but it is listed in the help panels.

http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/#downloads

Only problem with PICkit3 is that you have to make your own cable to go to the PIC chip.

Pete Knobloch

In order to clarify this, I've ordered a PICKIT2 compatible programmer and will test it under MacOS with all PICs used in the MBHP

-> http://www.reichelt.de/Programmer-Entwicklungstools/DIAMEX-PIC-PROG/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=5&ARTICLE=137174&GROUPID=2969

If it works, I will recommend PICKIT2 or PICKIT3 (and compatible) in future.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

That sounds good. 

I wold like to make a DIY Programer for the uCapps page as an update of MBHP_Burner.

I already made a Layout yesterday for the Brenner8r4 and ordered it at Oshpark.

They always make 3 pce. so i if my layout is running (witch it actually never does in the first attempt... :pinch: ) i will have a spare to send to TK.

@TK. wold you want to go that way, or do you prefer to use a PICKIT "xy"?

I still prefer PICKIT 2/3, because the Brenner8 software doesn't run under MacOS :-/

Another reason: in future, there won't be so many people who need a PIC programmer for the old MIDIbox projects anymore (especially since there is always the option to buy pre-burned PICs from SmashTV). Therefore I need something which is well established today, and which is a stable reference for the next years.

Everything else is a nice DIY solution for people who like the challenge, but counter-productive at my side (e.g. updating documentation, testing updates, supporting people who can't get it running, etc).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I just loaded the X version and can't find the programmer option but it is listed in the help panels.
After loading the MPLAB X software on my Windows 8 PC, there is a new item called MPLAB IPE (Integrated Programming Environment v1.90) on the desktop. I clicked on the application and the programming panel popped up. I then connected the PICkit3 unit to the PC USB port and it went through a down load procedure that loaded a new version of software for my PICkit3.

There is a field for entering in the .hex file name and 5 buttons labeled: Program, Erase, Read, Verify, and Blank Check. I haven't tried it since the hardware that I used is in an organ console that is locked up in a home.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of the utility panels.

Pete

Edited by kpete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...