Can encoders send note on events?

jrp

I am using a remote script for ableton live that allows only note on evnts to trigger software functions.

I like to use encoders for some functions (like remote arrow keys, cycle quantisation, etc) since i like the feel of it.

Turning the encoder right should send a note on, turning it left should send a different note.

Is this possible with the MB-IO128 or 16e?

Just hooking my encoder to two AIns on the 128 i have running didn´t do the trick, since the encoder will trigger both events shortly after another.

Thanks!

With the MB64E firmware this should be possible by using Meta Events.

I can give you an explicit example once I'm back from vacation; for preparation: could you please specify, which note values (and velocity values) should be sent exactly on left/right turns?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello Thorsten, this is really kind of you!

I hope i will be able to learn something on the way, MIOS is just too great.

The note values are not really important since i have to assign every function in the midi remote script for Ableton Live anyhow. So i could use any setup as long as it´s Note on/off at maximum velocity. 

For an example we could use this like the default setup for MIDIO128:

4 Encoders connected to the first shift-register.

Enc 1 left: NoteOn 64

Enc 1 right: NoteOn 65

Enc 2 left: NoteOn 66

Enc 4 right: NoteOn 71 

Here the appr. mb64e_meta.inc file:

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox64e%2Fmeta_examples%2F5%2Fmb64e_meta.inc

Just copy it into the src directory (overwrite the original mb64e_meta.inc file), and recompile the application.

Usage:

; send note event depending on encoder direction
    ; the encoders have to be configured in "0 +/- 1" mode!
    ;
    ; Example Config:
    ;   Meta Event 0x30 will send a Note On Event C-2 on left-turn, and C#2 on right-turn

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you very much, Thorsten. Your efford is really amazing!

I´ll try this today in the afternoon. Currently i cannot download the file you linked, it simply opens in the browser. When clicking download i get an error message the file can not be downloaded. I´m on OSX 10.6.8 Safari and Firefox (both with same result).

I expect copying the code into a new file and naming it mb64e_meta.ini will work just as well.