Ready to rock!

MrAureliusR

Hey there everyone! I'm brand new to this forum (and MIDI for that matter) but fairly experienced in electronics. I'm going to order the Core and SID modules in the next few weeks. I have a C64 that I was going to harvest the SID from but I also have another on the way from an eBay seller. I have read basically all the info on the uCApps site regarding the SID V2 but I still have a few questions.

Is it true that all I need to get started is the Core and SID modules? I have plenty of PIC 18F4685s so I'm planning on ordering the kit without one. I've got a few different ways to burn PICs. I just want to make sure I'm using the correct .hex file - can someone possibly link me to the latest stable version? I also run Linux so if needed I can compile it myself.

I am going to also order an LCD plus encoders after I build the basics, so I can have an interface. Is all I need for this the DIN module? Is it important to get the PCB or is it easy enough to build on some proto/stripboard?

Obviously I'm going to need a MIDI keyboard controller for the unit once it's built. (Can anyone recommend a cheap small basic MIDI controller keyboard? I just need something simple for testing. I've heard I can just interface to my computer as well to send MIDI commands?) For some reason it wasn't clear to me - is the audio out on the Core board or the SID board? If I were to build an FM unit in the future can I simply use one core module?

I apologize if these seem overly noobish. I'm very enthusiastic and I tend to dive into projects head first so sometimes little things escape me.

I'm looking forward to interacting with the community here!

Thanks!

EDIT: I already answered a few of my own questions. The audio in/out is on the SID board. And it looks like all I do need is the SID and Core to start making noise :smile:

Also, am I right in thinking that this LCD:http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1697099.pdf will be able to interface directly with J15? From what I can tell the pinout is perfect, and it's in DIL format which makes it even easier to interface!  Never mind, screwed that one up royally.

Edited by MrAureliusR

hi, and welcome!

yeah you basically need only the core nd sid modules to hear something. if you want to use an OPL3 you'll need another core, but you can have 2 sids (a stereo pair) controlled by one core with the V2 firmware.

the newest firmware is posted on the ucapps page.

of course it would make life easier if you already have a display and the minimal control surface (which requires 1 1/2 DINx4 with 1 encoder and 5 or 6 switches)

i think all of the modules would be easy enough to do on pad per hole boards but i've never tried personally.

about midi keyboard, i'm not sure what's cheap or good etc. i bought some big sampler keyboards for 100 bux or less on ebay (vz-1, fz-1, or ensoniq samplers, they're ridiculous cheap)

Edited by rosch

If anything with some keys and Midi-out will do, you could just buy a used keyboard on ebay or local garagesale.

Those are often obsolete, because the sounds are so out of date.

If you want a small keyboard with some additional knobs, i can recommend the M-audio oxygen 8.

It looks cheap, because it is, but it gets the job done quite well.

of course it would make life easier if you already have a display and the minimal control surface (which requires 1 1/2 DINx4 with 1 encoder and 5 or 6 switches) 

I hear everyone referring to DINx4 - that's just the regular DIN module right? And when you say I need 1 1/2 DINx4 you mean 1 and a half of the 4 inputs or 1 and a half full modules?

Just curious as I only ordered 1 DIN kit.

I have plenty of PIC 18F4685s so I'm planning on ordering the kit without one. I've got a few different ways to burn PICs. I just want to make sure I'm using the correct .hex file

I overworked the "bootloader installation" page, it should now clearly describe what has to be done at your side. :)

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap_experts.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.