RGB Encoder Rings

wpatterson

I am building a controller that will have 16 encoders with individual LED rings. Each ring will consist of 12 RGB LEDs (11 around the encoder and 1 below it). I want to use two DOUT modules to control them. The first and second SRs will send signals to the 12 cathode rows. The third and fourth SRs will send signals to the red anodes. The fifth and sixth SRs will send signals to the green anodes. And finally the seventh and eighth SRs will send signals to the blue anodes. I have included a schematic:

Does anyone have any suggestions about programming this?
Edited by wpatterson

First of all: a 16x16 matrix is a bad choice, please layout two 8x16 matrices instead, so that the LEDs are brighter.

Then you will be able to configure the matrices with:

DOUT_MATRIX n=1  rows=8  inverted=0  sr_dout_sel1=1 sr_dout_r1=2 sr_dout_r2=3 sr_dout_g1=4 sr_dout_g2=5 sr_dout_b1=6 sr_dout_b2=7
DOUT_MATRIX n=2  rows=8  inverted=0  sr_dout_sel1=8 sr_dout_r1=9 sr_dout_r2=10 sr_dout_g1=11 sr_dout_g2=12 sr_dout_b1=13 sr_dout_b2=14

with a 8x16 matrix, you will get 8 hues per colour (makes 512 possible colors)

The hue can be passed with the rgb parameter. E.g. let's say an encoder is mapped to 4 banks, you can specify:

EVENT_ENC    id=100  hw_id =  1  bank=1  fwd_id=LED_MATRIX:1   rgb= 7:0:0  fwd_to_lcd=1  type=CC   chn= 1 cc= 16  lcd_pos=1:1:1  label="ENC #%3i    %3d@(1:1:2)%B"

EVENT_ENC    id=200  hw_id =  1  bank=2  fwd_id=LED_MATRIX:1   rgb= 0:7:0  fwd_to_lcd=1  type=CC   chn= 1 cc= 16  lcd_pos=1:1:1  label="ENC #%3i    %3d@(1:1:2)%B"

EVENT_ENC    id=300  hw_id =  1  bank=3  fwd_id=LED_MATRIX:1   rgb= 0:0:7  fwd_to_lcd=1  type=CC   chn= 1 cc= 16  lcd_pos=1:1:1  label="ENC #%3i    %3d@(1:1:2)%B"

EVENT_ENC    id=400  hw_id =  1  bank=4  fwd_id=LED_MATRIX:1   rgb= 7:7:0  fwd_to_lcd=1  type=CC   chn= 1 cc= 16  lcd_pos=1:1:1  label="ENC #%3i    %3d@(1:1:2)%B"

to change the LED ring color depending on the bank

Best Regards, Thorsten.

If you don't specify the LED_MATRIX_PATTERNs, MBNG will take the defaults which are documented here: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_ng_v1%2Fcfg%2Fdefault%2Fdefault.ngc

If you don't like the defaults, then just customize the predefined patterns.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Say I wanted to be able to use banks to control the color of the LEDs and 4 different banks within the same encoders but with different CCs. I know I could have use one encoder to scroll through each individual bank and the colors, but is there a way that I could use one encoder to scroll through groups of 12 banks and another encoder to change the color of the leds? For example:

Encoder 1: changes the CC of each led via banks

Encoder 2: scrolls through rgb banks of LED rings (the range would be 1 to 12)

Thanks,

Harry Patterson

yes i think you can use.

EVENT_ENC  ID=1  TYPE=META  META=RUNSECTION RANGE=0:127

and the RANGE will be the first Section, everything in between, and last section.

and if you dont like to have all the sections on the encoder

you can use the RANGE=MAP1

and  MAP1      1 2 4 8 16

wil only tigger Section 1 2 4 8 and 16....

dont have my hardware at my side so cant test it..

Edited by Spirit