Motorized Faders / Buttons in Lightroom 5

bspeice

Hi all!

I am brand new here, have been researching endlessly on how to build a DIY solution to essentially recreate a Behringer BCF2000 without all the cost.  I am a photographer and will be using the rig that I build in Lightroom 5, of which there is a specific solution already for the Behringer BCF2000 (link here) to connect to Lightroom 5, but I'm not really sure what all will need to be done to do the same for a custom built midi controller.  To use the midi controller in Lightroom they are using Paddy.

The idea behind making a midi controller is to be able to adjust sliders (in software) with hardware.  I want motorized faders so that when I go to the next picture, the sliders automatically move to the position of that current image.  This is the concept behind everything, except I hope to build my own controller:

I know that I will need:
8 motorized faders

MF_NG module

Eventually I would like to add some buttons that would allow me to advance to the next picture, but I will be content to just start with getting 8 sliders working and functioning in Lightroom.

Is this all I really need to get started?

I saw this connection diagram that seems to make enough sense to me that I could do it (not many skills but ample to try and build something): connection diagram.

I will need to connect this to my computer via usb (do I need the Core8 Kit + PCB?), and then have an external power supply run the motorized faders.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome here! This sounds like a very interesting application indeed! However, if your main goal is to save money, then this is the wrong approach - rather, get a used Behringer device that seems to be known to work in your use case. Whereas diy costs seem lower at first sight, they tend to explode as soon as you want a decent custom case. If you want features that can't be had from a commercially available device, then this is the right place!

Ilmenator says it right. DIY is no money saver. 

For USB connection i recomend to get a LPC17 Core instead. http://ucapps.de/mbhp_core_lpc17.html

http://www.midibox-shop.com

The most expensive parts will be the Motorfaders. 8 Motorfaders will cost already 50% the price a BCF2000 wold cost... link to reichelt

but the fun you will have is not payable... :-)

best regards

novski