Simple midi in

johnnyfax11

Hi,

I've built three 808 modules some years ago (BD, SNARE, HATS) and they work really well !

The only way to get sounds out of it is to connect trigger to a +5 or +15v. I'm using this a lot and planned to midi my little boxes. I've heard that the 9090 can input midi notes and velocity. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I suppose it's ok for 808clones applications.

As I'm barely new to programming, I just wanted to start with a simple midi note/vel IN project to trigger my little boxes (with an external sequencer like my monomachine or my computer) to finally use them without sampling individual hits. I think building a complete sequencer with lcd and all will be way too complicated for me. Btw what you guys make here is totally awesome!!

It would be cool if someone here could help me a little, and give me the right links or something to get started. There's cool links everywhere and I don't know where to start :)

Thanks a lot for your advices and sorry for my english.

• 4 months later...
Hi Julien,

I'm not Thorsten but I found a MB808 hardware change/ configuration sheet on the forum and with help from that I made a MB808 pinout sheet witch I'll be happy to share, see here:

post-8360-006046500 1300882252_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about the midi in/ velocity question, never used this.

Cheers,
Roel
Edited by Elektruck

Hi Roel,

I'm going to order the pic microprocessor and try this on breadboard, I still remember how to write hex files in microchip ucs and found my oldschool programmer!!! I Will try this like that before modifying source code, I only know basics of asm code and I vaguely understand the MB808 program. Your pdfs will be great help for sure, thank you.

One last question, is there an electronic schematic to adapt MB808 to 808voices. It seems weird to trigger it with output ports directly because the original 808 service manual gives us a description of the input trigger which in fact is merged with the accent (4to15v dc) etc etc... 

I found old posts with lots of great tips and it seems that there was a website called eight-oh-eight.org that could be useful but it is unfortunately down. Is this website accessible somewhere?

Again, thanks for your help here!

Nice build Roel, the case is cool!

Julien.

Edited by johnnyfax11

You're very welcome! I got a lot of help here myself, so I'm happy if I can help someone else.

But unfortunally I only build this machine as a midi-drumsequencer, so I didn't use any DOUT modules to trigger voices, so can't help you in that direction. But others build it to trigger voices, I guess they can help or that the answer is already on the forum.

I like my case too, recyceld plastic installation box with alu-sticker. Really lo-tech, but works like a charm! I didn't know anything about programming, and code stuff etc, and I managed to get it to work...

Succes with yours!

Roel