[Solved] dio matrix not working as expected

irrobert

Hello,

I am a newbee with few soldiering capabilities and few experience in programming. I want to midify an old organ. I started with trying to get the pedals to work.

I soldiered a LPC17, put a lpcxpresso on it, connected SD card, connected a dio matrix. Upload mios bootloader and installed mios.

The problem: when I connect pin sr1 to d1 I get a C2 as expected. When I connect sr1 to d2 a C#2 and so on ... sr1 to d16 => D3. But I get the same notes if I connect pin sr2 to d1 (C2) or s6 to d1. So it makes no difference what ever sr pin I use: I receive the same notes.

I guess my dio matrix hardware is okay (capacitors too??), maybe some soldiering errors on the lpc17? software?

can someone give me a clue how to search for errors?

Robert

post-20582-0-86189300-1388088549_thumb.j

post-20582-0-87905500-1388088736_thumb.j

Hi Robert,

I guess that you only missed a small detail: each Matrix entry has a MIDI channel called 'Chn' (1 by default) and a Note Offset which is called 'Arg' (0x30 by default) in the configuration file which needs to be configured.

I would propose to specify a different MIDI Channel for the second Matrix, so that you can assign a different Synth voice to it.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

it is more complicated than I thought.

I cannot find any *.ini files or configuration files on my computer. I installed the bootloader and I uploaded the projec.hex (midio128_v3_016\MBHP_CORE_LPC17\project.hex).

So next step for me is:

1) I have to create a midio128.ini file? but I cannot find an example and have no clue what to put in it...

2) Open a shell and change to the directory which contains the midi128.ini file. Start the mk_syx.pl script with perl mk_syx.pl [ini-file] ?

Apart from the fact that it is a good idea to put the two matrices on a different channel: are you sure it is okay that all sr pins result in the same notes?

for example I expect sr2/d0 results in a notenumber 58 (A3) and not in a notenumber 49 (C#2).

Robert

It's probably less complicated then you think! ;-)

It seems that you are trying to configure the MIDIO128 application according to the documentation for V1 or V2, but on your LPC17 core MIDIO128 V3 is running, which supports a much more comfortable approach.

E.g. it isn't required to run a perl (.pl) script anymore, the application does directly read & parse the DEFAULT.MIO file from SD Card.

I would propose to edit the DEFAULT.MIO file directly with the Filebrowser editor, which is integrated into MIOS Studio.

Here a snapshot for MIDIbox SEQ where MBSEQ_HW.V4 is edited:

mios_studio_filebrowser.png

Just try the same with DEFAULT.MIO

Alternatively you could download the file to your harddisk, edit with Excel or OpenOffice, and upload again to SD Card.

midio128_v3_spreadsheet2.png

In any case, please enter "load default" in MIOS Studio terminal after the file has been changed to take over the new configuration.

Apart from the fact that it is a good idea to put the two matrices on a different channel: are you sure it is okay that all sr pins result in the same notes?

for example I expect sr2/d0 results in a notenumber 58 (A3) and not in a notenumber 49 (C#2).

I believe that you haven't enabled the matrices in DEFAULT.MIO yet - please do this first.

First matrix: SR DIN and DOUT should be assigned to 1

Second matrix: SR DIN and DOUT should be assigned to 2

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Unfortunately Windows can't handle the 4 USB MIDI ports correctly, this can cause such corrupted file transfers.

The solution is described here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_bootstrap_newbies.html

Upload the Bootloader Update application, and enter

set single_usb 1
store
into the MIOS terminal.

Thereafter disconnect the USB cable, wait 5 seconds, connect again, wait until Windows has installed the driver, restart MIOS Studio.

You will only get a single USB port anymore, but transfers should work stable again.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Cool! :)

The homework that I take from this thread:

- the MIDIO128 page has to be improved for users who don't configure the application via SCS (more explanations for the .MIO format)

- add a workaround for Windows users so that no special knowledge is required (see also )

- overwork the Wiki, so that it's clear which informations are intended for MIOS8 and MIOS32 users

Best Regards, Thorsten.