MB-LRE8x2CS rev 4.6 BULK ORDER spring 2014

Fairlightiii

Dear members.

In the perspective of the upcoming bulk order of the MB-LRE8x2CS (Rev 4.6) I opened a waiting list.

PCB8.jpg

It is a all-in-one board including DINx4 module, improved DOUTx4 module, 16 LEDrings and 16 encoders.

This control surface board is a very practical and cheap way to make a midi controller with adding only a core or make a more important controller without having to wire LEDrings.

I included also 3 others boards to the list:

• MB-LR4x2CS_RED: 4×2 LEDrings board already populated by (128x) 1206 red SMD LEDs,
  • MB-LR4x2CS_BLUE: 4×2 LEDrings board already populated by (128x) 1206 blue SMD LEDs,
  • MB-E4x2CS: 4×2 Encoders board, MB-LR4x2CS and MB-E4x2CS are stacked one on the other.

And 16mm undetended encoders (with 20 and 25 mm shaft) to know how much is there an interest for.

You will find more informations on my Wiki page.

Best regards,
Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

Nice, have improvements been made with regard to LED saturation?

No, but deep test made by Thorsten showed that the ULNs are necessary even in 4x2 context.

The problem of brightness of LEDs occurs mainly with rectangular LEDs but not enough test (...or feedback) have been filled in the LED black list to propose a (some) good candidate(s).

...of course, members are still welcome to fill the list with their LED feedback !

Best regards,

Jerome.

Wiki page lists the board as slightly less than 2U. I assume it wouldn't require anything fancy to modify your frontpanel design to make it rackmount?

2U= 3.469 inch and the board is 3.35 inch.

Nevertheless, be careful to the the thickness of your top and bottom rack enclosure.

Regarding the *.svg file, you only have to add the mounting holes (to the rack).

Best regards,

Jerome.

Edited by Fairlightiii

2U= 3.469 inch and the board is 3.35 inch.

Nevertheless, be careful to the the thickness of your top and bottom rack enclosure.

Ah well, if I did that, I would likely just mount the panel directly to the rack without an enclosure. So basically the board would just hang off the panel and the panel would mount directly to the rack. Seems to make things like clearance so much easier and I haven't found 2U+ enclosures I have liked that are also reasonably priced here in the US. That plus I have about 2U of space where I can mount something like this to the mixer rails of our rack and, in doing so, wouldn't be able to use a normal enclosure anyway.

I guess, what I should have asked was has anyone mounted this thing on a rack before? Seems like it is possible just curious if someone has gloriously paved the way already :smile:

Ah well, if I did that, I would likely just mount the panel directly to the rack without an enclosure. So basically the board would just hang off the panel and the panel would mount directly to the rack. Seems to make things like clearance so much easier and I haven't found 2U+ enclosures I have liked that are also reasonably priced here in the US. That plus I have about 2U of space where I can mount something like this to the mixer rails of our rack and, in doing so, wouldn't be able to use a normal enclosure anyway.

I guess, what I should have asked was has anyone mounted this thing on a rack before? Seems like it is possible just curious if someone has gloriously paved the way already :smile:

Milky did:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Hello,

Some explain about the photos published by Jérome .

This projet , in four slim 19" rack , contained 2 seq ( V4 & V3 ) four leds ring and other personnal midibox.

It contained 6 DB50XG yahamha sound card to , sound incredible and spécial midibox for editing QS300 sound .

Actually 90% is done an fonctional. ( sorry for my poor english).

Thank to Jérome  for these beatiful printred board  easy to start, rack mounting are also easy as you se on the photos.

I am very busy those time ( job and familly ) I hope in some time y could answer question on the forum.

But only for fun...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jerome

So I am just starting to plan a MidiBox NG and I would like to include these rotary encoder PCBs.  I'm not sure right now whether I'll go for 16 or 24 channels, but I think they'll be in banks of four, so using 16 channels as an example I would need :

MB-LR4x2CS_RED          x 4

MB-E4x2CS                      x 4

25MM shaft encoders       32 (though I see you sell them in multiples of 25)

Is that correct?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using MB-LRE8x2CS instead of MB-LR4x2CS_RED except that the LEDs are pre-soldered on the MB-LR4x2CS_RED modules?  Of course, each board is 8 channels instead of 4, but apart from that and the pre-soldered LEDs, are there any differences?

Thanks,

DD

so using 16 channels as an example I would need :

25MM shaft encoders       32 (though I see you sell them in multiples of 25)

Is that correct?

If you mean 16 channels = 16 controllers, you would need:

MB-LR4x2CS_RED          x 2

MB-E4x2CS                      x 2

25MM shaft encoders       16

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using MB-LRE8x2CS instead of MB-LR4x2CS_RED except that the LEDs are pre-soldered on the MB-LR4x2CS_RED modules?  Of course, each board is 8 channels instead of 4, but apart from that and the pre-soldered LEDs, are there any differences?

MB-E4x2CS/MB-LR4x2CS can handle 8 controllers and MB-LRE8x2CS can handle 16.

There's technically no much difference but you will be able to reach the maximum allowed number of SR (32) by the system with 10x MB-LR4x2CS (=80 controllers) or 8x MB-LRE8x2CS (=128 controllers).

The main advantage of the MB-E4x2CS/MB-LR4x2CS is the time you won't spend to solder the LEDs.

Best regards,

Jerome.

OK, thanks.  I presumed that MB-E4x2CS which has two rows of four pots would be two pots per channel.  Can it be configured that way if I want?  One pot for pan say, and another for let's say an aux send both on the same channel?

Cheers!

Yes. You can assign any MIDI parameter that your host can handle to each controller.

Best regards,

Jerome.

Perhaps I'm being thick, but I can't see a way to register an account on the Wiki, which is apparently necessary mow according to a sticky on the forum.

Jerome, please would you register my order on your waiting list?

25MM shaft encoders       x 50

Thanks,

DD

Dear members.

I would like to inform that the prototype boards I ordered are on the road.

I will give more technical informations about the board as soon as I will make them work.

So the time frame of the bulk order could be known.

Best regards,

Jerome.

PCBs received !

I will post some pictures before next mid-week.

Best regards,

Jerome.

Hi Jerome,

Iam also somehow Not able to create an Wiki Account.

I would like to Join the List with :

MB-LRE8x2CS rev 4.6 x 1

MB-LR4x2CS_RED x 2

MB-LR4x2CS_Blue x 2

MB-E4x2CS x 4

16mm Encoder 25mm Schaft 25Stk.

Best regards

Tr1ptron1c

Edited by Tr1ptron1c