MB-LRE8x2CS rev 4.6 BULK ORDER spring 2014

Fairlightiii

Hey Jerome,

I had contacted you before for this board and I am very happy to read that new bulk orders are comming up for an improved version.

I want to use these boards to built a controller with as many led lit encoders with a push functionality for 8 channels as possible (I'm refering to 8 columns here, so just like your board).

So here come a few questions from a noob :-)

1)

How many of these boards can I stack on top of each other at the maximum, 4 or 8?!

(I think if I understood you right, the last version allowed for 4 while this one allows for 8 - is this right?)

So this would then be at maximum 8 columns of 16 encoders each, correct?!

(If it's just 8 columns of 8 encoders each that would also be very usefull)

2)

I didn't quite get how far these new boards come already pre-assembled.

Are the Leds already functionaly applied (i.e. soldered)?

How about the encoders(with push functionality?)?!

Not that I necessarily expect that, but the wording in one of your post made me think that this is an option. Since this would be my very first forray into building a controller, I would of course welcome that.

3.)

What other hardware would I need to get these boards to work? Could you point me into the right direction for the necessary information?

4.)

Is there a possibiltity to add one 60 or 100mm fader  per channel ( meaning 8 in total) directly below the last encoder in each column? What would I need for this.

and 5.)

Somewhat unrelated (though if this was something that I could incorporate into the same controller that would be even more awsome, especially if it could follow somewhat the same dimensions)

I was looking into building a controller with 8 small (non springloaded) joysticks, so that I can adjust the x-y stereo placement of 8 channels precisely (using the Panorama 5 plug-in that has this functionality, so this should be a Midi joystick).

What kind of board would I need for that and could this be still controlled with the same controll board as the above mentioned encoders and faders.?

Thank you ever so much for your great work and your responses :-)

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom.

Some answers:

1)How many of these boards can I stack on top of each other at the maximum, 4 or 8?!

8 with Midibox NG.

2)I didn't quite get how far these new boards come already pre-assembled.

Are the Leds already functionaly applied (i.e. soldered)?

MB-LRE8x2CS has notthing pre-assembled. If you want the LEDs already soldered, go for MB-LR4x2CS / MB-E4x2CS.

2)How about the encoders(with push functionality?)?!

Typically you can configure this to switch between the different modes (speed) of the encoder but you can assign any parameter to the command.

3.)What other hardware would I need to get these boards to work? Could you point me into the right direction for the necessary information?

Minimum: 1 core (any model: PIC, LPC17 or STM32F4 based core). In case you want to use the built-in switch of the encoders, you need to add a DINx2 module for each MB-LRE8x2CS. You can find the different Cores and the DIN modules in the SmashTV's shop.

4.)Is there a possibiltity to add one 60 or 100mm fader  per channel ( meaning 8 in total) directly below the last encoder in each column? What would I need for this.

The faders and a AIN module (also in in the SmashTV's shop).

and 5.) What kind of board would I need for that and could this be still controlled with the same controll board as the above mentioned encoders and faders.?

You should consult the midibox page about the AIN module and use the search function of the forum to see if someone as already tried this type of use.

Best regards,

Jerome.

It looks quite pretty!

I'm personally not a fan of blue LEDs for interfaces and, in fact, there have been a few epic discussions on these forums about them. Both in terms of practicality and in terms of posing an increased risk for long term vision problems.

Not trying to sway anyone one way or another. I just personally stick to red, orange, or green for most things that are at least in direct line of sight.

It looks quite pretty!

I'm personally not a fan of blue LEDs for interfaces and, in fact, there have been a few epic discussions on these forums about them. Both in terms of practicality and in terms of posing an increased risk for long term vision problems.

Not trying to sway anyone one way or another. I just personally stick to red, orange, or green for most things that are at least in direct line of sight.

I have read more or less the epic discussion you speak about but this is a only a prototype for the moment (I could choose 2 different colors for the 3 prototypes I ordered), my plan would be to add a semi-transparent acrylic panel in front of them and I planned in all the case to point members on the risk using blue LEDs when the things will begin serious during this BO.

Best regards,

Jerome.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...