2 x 2op instruments rather than 1 x 4op possible?

lazerbeat

I was wondering if it was possible to split 4 op instruments into 2 op instruments in ensemble mode? This would be kind of fun as I assume you could get up to 8 voices that way rather than 4 with 4op. I tend to like the fairly simple 2 op sounds so having a few more of them you play with would be fun! 4 x 2 op and 2 x 4op configurations would be fun too. Can it be done or would it need heavy re writing?

Not in MIDIbox FM V1.4 / SammichFM, but yes in the upcoming

The OPL3 itself has 6 4-op voices (that can be individually split into 2-op voices for a total of up to 12), plus 3 plain 2-op voices, plus 3 2-op voices that optionally become the 5-voice percussion system. The current versions of MIDIbox FM (V1.4 and SammichFM) have the 6 4-op voices permanently in that configuration, plus the percussion mode, and they never use those 3 extra 2-op voices. MIDIbox FM V2.0 allows you to configure all 18 2-op voices as you wish (within the limits of the chip).

It's not a matter of rewiring, it would require a major overhaul in software of the synth engine, and I'm not sure the PIC microcontroller could handle it.