Changing the function of F1,2,3,4 buttons

phillwilson

Hi there, I have just taken ownership of a Midibox Seq V4 from a builder on the forum.

the machine is beautiful and I am loving the whole concept , I just wondered if I could ask a few polite questions that some of you who know more than me may be able to answer.

1. Is there any way to use the F1, F2, F3, F4 buttons for accessing different pages than their defaults? basically I would LOVE to bring the following functions to the top level of themenu hierachy as I am using this unit in realtime performance ..

1. Realtime record

2. the FX page ( as I change scales on the fly extensively)

3. length page 

I would then keep F4 as a means to quick access the other main menu page (not got the unit with me at the moment but I am sure one of the F keys already does this).

is this something that could be rewritten and then uploaded into the unit?

2.. is there a quick way to clear all notes and start again from settings that I like to have as default? the reasoning behind this is simple, I like to know my 4 parts are set to certain lengths and forced to scale, but beyond that I do amm my pattern entry live from a blank canvas...then at the end of the song , I need ot be able to quickly erase all the data and star the next song...so far I have only been able to either do this by removing the staps manually or unplugging and replugging the unit...I am sure Im missing something?

thanks in advance for your replies, I look forward to becoming an active member in the group.

Phill MyOneManBand 

Hey I am no expert but yes those Function keys can be rewritten fairly easily from those who know... My programming is rusty but if you look at the config file and find the section with Function key programming is just a matter of editing the target destination of the code... Just wait and someone will answer your post... It has been quiet on here for awhile... Just got mine up and running...

Thanks for the reply, this is so tantalizing, that it COULD be done ....but probably not by me, I just took a look at some of the other fragments of code on here and it is all a forign language to me, just like music notation, skills I dearly wish I had the time to pick up but alas life gets in the way.

for any of the other generous souls who may be reading and contemplating helping out, I will go home tonight and write a spec of exactly what I am trying to achieve so that anyone kind enough to make these changes for me will have an easier and more clearly defined description.

thanks again,

Phill

Okay it has come back to me.... Below is the code you would change...

# Following button functions are usually assigned to Fx # buttons, or to dedicated (labeled) buttons # In the standard frontpanel layout: 
# F1 is located at SR 2 Pin 1 
# F2 is located at SR 2 Pin 2 
# F3 is located at SR 2 Pin 3 
# F4 is located at SR 2 Pin 4  

#                   SR Pin 
BUTTON_UTILITY       2 1 
BUTTON_STEP_VIEW     2 2 
BUTTON_TRG_LAYER_SEL 2 3 
BUTTON_TRACK_SEL     2 4

See the bold text above this is what you change... Then you paste in your Record, Length, statements...

BUTTON_RECORD  

BUTTON_TRACK_LENGTH 

Now those two above are on different SR and Pin numbers but it should work... You cant ruin anything just keep your original config file and make a copy and do the changes to the copy then upload your changes... A bit of trial and error but you can figure it out that is how I did it... 

I would propose to assign the buttons to Bookmarks, this gives you full flexibility (see also http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual_m.html)

Just disable the current F1..F4 assignments in your MBSEQ_HW.V4 file (can be edited with the Filebrowser in MIOS Studio).

E.g. if you are using Wilba's Frontpanel with button matrix change:

# Following button functions are usually assigned to Fx
# buttons, or to dedicated (labeled) buttons
# In Wilba's frontpanel layout:
# F1 is located at SR M3 Pin 3
# F2 is located at SR M2 Pin 2
# F3 is located at SR M2 Pin 3
# F4 is located at SR M1 Pin 2
# and there are dedicated buttons for Copy/Paste/Clear/Utility/StepView

# DISABLE DEFAULT ASSIGNMENTS:

#                    SR  Pin
BUTTON_BOOKMARK      0   0
BUTTON_PAR_LAYER_SEL 0   0
BUTTON_TRG_LAYER_SEL 0   0
BUTTON_TRACK_SEL     0   0 

And assign the SR/pin numbers to the bookmark function instead:

# alternative (individual) bookmark buttons
# no LEDs available!
#                        SR  Pin
BUTTON_DIRECT_BOOKMARK1  M3   3
BUTTON_DIRECT_BOOKMARK2  M2   2
BUTTON_DIRECT_BOOKMARK3  M2   3
BUTTON_DIRECT_BOOKMARK4  M1   2

2.. is there a quick way to clear all notes and start again from settings that I like to have as default? the reasoning behind this is simple, I like to know my 4 parts are set to certain lengths and forced to scale, but beyond that I do amm my pattern entry live from a blank canvas...then at the end of the song , I need ot be able to quickly erase all the data and star the next song...so far I have only been able to either do this by removing the staps manually or unplugging and replugging the unit...I am sure Im missing something?

Use sessions!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Wow, I took the plunge and it worked first time !!!

I managed to set up the Menu button to toggle rather than hold which I love, I got rid of the odd Midi CC mode that was bugging me and I managed to assign bookmarks (super powerful stuff).

thanks for introducing me to the wonderful world of modifications...a few days ago it seemed like a bad Idea, now I feel very free to experiment.

Phill

Edited by phillwilson

Ok, here is another little tweak... in the Live record setup is there any way the CHANNEL can be changed to ALL?

I only ask because my tone generator moves its keyboard channel as I move around selecting different inputs.

Also, second question ...

eventually I would like to have a drum pad input and a keyboard input ... but as I see it,  the live record settings are global to itself and not linked to the 1,2,3,4 midi seq tracks I am recording to, is there any way to link them?

in this case (in distance to the situation above)  I'd like to set up the live record function so that  if I am live recording on tracks 1,2,3 (my melody tracks) it is taking input from channel 1  but if I switch to live record on track 4 it Is automatically saved to take input from channel #10 without having to change it on the live record menu...is this possible?

sorry for so many newbie questions , just trying to find my flow.

Phill

Edited by phillwilson