STM32 Core and AOUT_NG (SEQv4)

gomiboy99

Hi All,

I have a problem with my SEQV4 not communicating with an AOUT_NG. 

The AOUT works in my CV V1 (PIC core).

The AOUT works with an LPC core running the latest SEQV4 firmware. I used the cables from my SEQ to run the test, so the cables are fine.

The J19 jumper is set for 5V and the 1K SIL resistor is in place and the right way around. I have also checked the core board for shorts and disconnections, all is as it should be.

I ran the testaoutpin test with these results:

CS 0  voltage = 0.09

CS 1  voltage = 3.91

SI 0  voltage = 0.09

SI 1  voltage = 3.87

SC 0 voltage = 0.10

SC 1  voltage = 4.99  HIGHER than expected on this pin.

I suspect I may have damaged the SC port on the STM32. Before I order a new MCU and tear the SEQ apart, is there an easy way around this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

Hi

Please check connection between sc on j19 and the IC pin pb6.

On my core IC pin pb6 is connected to the SIL resistor network as it should but there is no connection between the resistor network and J19 ...

Could someone confirm the missing track or do I have a faulty board ?

Edited by MikePig

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm bringing back to life this thread as I'd really like to have a clear explanation (or diagram) on how to connect the AOUT_NG to the Core (mine is a STM32). I've been searching a lot, couldn't find something definitive, and I don't want to fry anything...

I really thought that the only connections to be made were -12v/Gnd/+12v and CORE (J4) to AOUT (J1 / J2)

For the latest, can you help me complete :

AOUT (J1 / J2) ----->           CORE (J4 / ?)

Pin1 (Gnd-Vs)  ----->           J4 Vs

Pin2 (Vcc)        ----->           J4 5V

Pin3 (FS)         ----->           ?

Pin4 (DIN)        ----->           ?

Pin5 (SCLK)     ----->           ?

(and some explanation would be great!)

Thank you in advance.

Edited by tupinamba

OK, thanks ! I'll try that and keep you posted !

I have the first revision of the STM32. Hope it is the same (looks like it is).

I have so many unfinished business with my MB Seq v4... The Dout module for triggers as well. I did not manage to make it work, then I closed the enclosure because I needed to use the Seq, and didn't try it since... :-/

I also hope that config won't be too tricky for the Aout.

PS : I love interconnection diagrams, and wished there were more... ;-)

Ha ha, yes, I see it now!

Can you explain a little further about GPIO for gates? How many trigger outs can I get without adding a DOUT?

Basically, what I want to be able to do is:

1. control analog synths with CV / Gate

2. also control analog drum machines with triggers (so I need as many trigger outs as there are sounds to be triggered...) 

Is the AOUT_NG enough for all of this?

Triggers or gates are available at J5A and J5B on the Core, 8 total. The voltage level is only 3 or 3v3, so you need a level shifter (transistor, op amp comparator or CMOS) if you need 5V or higher gates. Also these aren't current limited, so you have to be careful not to patch to an output on the modular if you use one.

If you need more gates or triggers, expand with a DOUT module. Then it makes better sense not to fluff around with J5A/B and level shifting/protection, and one DOUTX4 gives you 32 bits to play with, or I think you can use some pins as LED drivers.

Thanks for the fast update on the ucapps AOUT page... ;-)

About wiring, just to be extra sure...

CORE     --->   AOUT_NG

Vs           --->   GND-Vs  

Vd          --->    Vcc

SO         --->    FS

SC         --->   DIN

RC1       --->   SCLK

About triggers, it is then safer to use a DOUT module for triggers, to avoid an accident?

Great, thank you. I think that would be a very good idea to edit the AOUT page with the information on the thread you just linked to. The image for instance...

Also : I was very confused at first because I made my connector (with the keyed connection) the other was around. So maybe it isn't clear for other people (like me) that the protruding part of the connector has to be on the side where the wire comes to the connector (back part of the connector), and not on the front part...

I wired everything, and the problem is I don't have 5V on J19 of the core... So I don't get 5V on my AOUT module. Any idea about this ? (everything else works fine)

I'm a bit confused by your second sentence -- it doesn't matter what end of the connector the cable exits, as long as you know where pin 1 is. Having the keyed pin header helps to get the orientation correct.

For 5V, did you select the correct voltage with the J26 jumper? No jumper = no voltage. Make sure the resistor network is the right way around also.

Press EXIT and scroll through until you get to CV Configuration:

CV Configuration Page

CV

This page allows to select the AOUT/AOUT_LC/AOUT_NG interface, to configure CV channel and gate parameters, and to configure the DIN Sync Clock output.

• CV: selects the CV channel (1..8)
  • Curve: selects the output curve: V/Oct, Hz/V, Inverted
  • SlewR(ate): allows to configure a slew rate (slack) in the range of 0..255 mS
  • SusK: activates the "SusKey" function (also known as "fingered portamento"): the slew rate will only be activated if at least two notes are played. This allows to use the glide function to enable slew only on demand.
  • PRng: sets the pitch range for pitch bender events (normally 2, use 12 or 24 to sweep over one, resp. two octaves)
  • Gate: sets the gate polarity (positive or negative)
  • Calibr.: allows to force different output voltages for calibration (Min/Middle/Max/1V, 2V, 4V, 8V)
  • Clk: selects 1 of 8 clock outputs (available at a dedicated DOUT shift registered which has been configured with the CLK_SR parameter in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file). Each clock has an individual clock divider, or can optionally be used to output a Start/Stop signal
  • Rate: defines the output rate of the selected clock output (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48, 96, 192, 384 ppqn and Start/Stop)
  • Width: sets the pulsewidth of the clock output signal (1..255 mS)
  • Module: selects the AOUT module which is connected to J19 of the core module (AOUT, AOUT_LC or AOUT_NG)

It works!

Thank you so much latigid on, you've been of a great help.

I calibrated CV1 without issue (and it is almost perfectly pitched). Now I have to explore the CV Configuration page (so many options here!) to understand why I go from -1v to +1v only in bipolar mode on CV8 (I have the bipolar option, jumpers set as they should)

Now I have to figure out how to deal with the gates.

I think I'll go further and try to solve this Dout problem (Sometimes, you let something aside for a few months, and when you get back to it, you find the solution right away!).

Thanks again!