Playing Live with SEQV4 - Techno

cosmosuave

I am nearing completion on my SEQV4 and will be migrating from the Machinedrum sequencer which was my first hardware sequencer. I found it so easy to use and am looking to hear on how others use the SEQV4 live... 

With the MD I would use it in pattern mode using 8 patterns (A01 - A08) to construct a track and would like to know is this how others go about making their tracks or do you use the seq in SONG MODE? Now am I correct on this? If you are playing in SONG MODE you can morph into the next track without stopping the sequencer? The goal here is not stopping the sequencer to start a new track and to play continuously like a DJ...

Thanks...

Brian

Hi Brian,

personally, I use it in pattern mode and just unmute and mute the tracks on the MBSEQ (there is a sync mute/unmute feature in MBSEQ, which is easily worth its weight in gold :-)) and manually switch patterns on the MD. Probably not a standard workflow, but works well for me :)

Many greets!
Peter

Hi Brian,

personally, I use it in pattern mode and just unmute and mute the tracks on the MBSEQ (there is a sync mute/unmute feature in MBSEQ, which is easily worth its weight in gold :-)) and manually switch patterns on the MD. Probably not a standard workflow, but works well for me :smile:

Many greets!

Peter

Is that the feature similiar to Ableton's clip launch, where you can launch the pattern on a full measure 1/2 measure and so forth... If pattern is working for you I will try this route as well as it worked fine for me on the Machinedrum... Also you use a Machinedrum slaved to the SEQV4 is it fairly straight forward to have the seq change the patterns on the MD?

I am using patterns too, but I limit one 'track' per session. I use an octatrack to sample a loop (transition trick), then switch sessions on the mbseq and multi's on any gear being sequenced. Then I can work the parts from the new track into the loop I have going on the OT.

That being said I am always trying new workflows with the mbseq. There is a lot of depth and many ways to structure things. I recommend trying anything and everything you can come up with. The amount of variation you can get on a pattern with the direction page alone is mind blowing. It's endless.

Is that the feature similiar to Ableton's clip launch, where you can launch the pattern on a full measure 1/2 measure and so forth... If pattern is working for you I will try this route as well as it worked fine for me on the Machinedrum...

Yes! In the options menu, you can enable synced mutes/unmutes, i only use mutes on full measures (16 steps), but maybe you can configure the measure length to a different value and it will work :smile:

Also you use a Machinedrum slaved to the SEQV4 is it fairly straight forward to have the seq change the patterns on the MD?

Am only performing manual pattern switches on the MD, as it is only two button presses (and they are synced to the measure as well), but you could have the SEQ switch MD patterns probably with the mixer map... but that would be moving towards automation again, for me the fun part is to have the freedom to switch, when you want :smile:

Many greets!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Still exploring my way around this incredible device.  :shocked:

I have found that a nice way to get lots of pattern variation - particularly drum rolls - is to use the scrub wheel to manually set the sequencer position in real-time (hold Scrub button and twist the big encoder). 

After a bit of practice I can get really natural-sounding fills going - the key is releasing the Scrub button at the right moment.  And if I turn-on Sync to Measure (In the Direction page, set SyncM to yes) I can go mental and the pattern stays perfectly in sync. 

Also using the GP buttons in Manual page to do this  - the advantage being that it affects the current track only. Also, Sync-to-Measure is not required because pressing Select resynchronizes everything. Just a little practice needed. This is probably old-news to most users, but it's a feature I love. 

It got me around to thinking - it would be cool if I could jam like this on a track (say a basic kick, snare, hat pattern) and record this output to another MIDI track.

In any case, the MIDI records perfectly into a DAW  - an easy way to make lots of interesting MIDI patterns from a simple one very quickly.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Jarly

It got me around to thinking - it would be cool if I could jam like this on a track (say a basic kick, snare, hat pattern) and record this output to another MIDI track.

In any case, the MIDI records perfectly into a DAW  - an easy way to make lots of interesting MIDI patterns from a simple one very quickly.

:thumbsup:

This is a feature I have really wanted. I have even used another sequencer to dub down tracks like this. I did request this at one time but I can't remember what came of it. Maybe with enough requests we can nudge TK into looking into this again.

Luke

Also this would be useful for me when using the algorithmic function, direction and length changes, gets even crazier when you start to use the busses to modulate these parameters sometimes too crazy and its nice to take chunks of that output and assemble in to more usable patterns. 

• 1 year later...

just starting on the SEQV4 and trying to sequence my MD from it, 

I can't get any sound yet neither in normal note sequence or drum sequence 

when i go into MD map editor, it responds to the MBSEQ (BD maps to C2 instead of C1 but i guess they are just an octave apart in their midi setup)

it must be a setup problem, any thoughts? 

thanks

I have a MD slaved to to the SEQV4 and use the internal MD sequencer as you can take advantage of the P lock function... I think this is your best bet... I change patterns via note changes (map notes to patterns in the MD)... Since having constructed a set to play live I have started a new set and have just kept everything in the Key of C and now use transpose instead...

just starting on the SEQV4 and trying to sequence my MD from it, 

I can't get any sound yet neither in normal note sequence or drum sequence 

when i go into MD map editor, it responds to the MBSEQ (BD maps to C2 instead of C1 but i guess they are just an octave apart in their midi setup)

it must be a setup problem, any thoughts? 

thanks

I've attached my MBSEQ preset for the MD.

Im pretty sure I stuck with the default mapping in the MD.

Go to the Edit menu (Menu+GP2), then GP15 to get to the Preset menu. The preset is called "MDRUMMKII".

You'll need to change the MIDI out port to the port your MD is connected to.

Set the Base Channel on your MD to 1-4

MDRUMMK2.v4t.zip

Thanks Rowan. Trying to understand how to send that preset into the SEQ. 

when i try to import (its a midi file right?) i don't have a midi file directory on my SD card (neither Sysex)

doing some research on that and will report re sequencing the MD.