Optimizing Encoder Behavior in MBSID Firmware

TK.

i just did a quick test for now as i am off for work. I am not quite sure if i notice a difference. Was it a big change on your setup or rather subtile? My test is trying to set cutoff to 800, i most often get jumps like 76f to 830 with just 3 ticks of the encoder unless i turn very slowly.

Do i need to upload the new mios to all slave cores as well?

So you changed it by altering mios8 if i understand correctly. Will this have an effect (positive or negative) on other applications, like MB64e?

Yes, it should have a positive effect on a MB64E as well.

i just did a quick test for now as i am off for work. I am not quite sure if i notice a difference. Was it a big change on your setup or rather subtile?

For large value ranges it's only subtile, for smaller ranges (e.g. 0..255 - mostly used) it's noticeable.

My test is trying to set cutoff to 800, i most often get jumps like 76f to 830 with just 3 ticks of the encoder unless i turn very slowly.

This doesn't happen at my side.

Ok, it depends on how we define "very slowly..." - but when I rotate the encoder slowly I can see that the values are incremented continuously and precisely +/- 1

With MIOS V1.9g sometimes the value was sporadically incremented much faster on slow movements, but with MIOS V1.9h this doesn't happen anymore.

It could be related to your encoder.

How does it work when you are changing CutOff with the main encoder instead?

And compare also parameters with lower value ranges, acceleration control should be super-precise for them now :smile:

Slave cores don't need the MIOS V1.9h update.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello, yes! It feels very nice now! Thank you for doing this, now a lot of people will have even more fun with their sid!

Seems like i should get different Encoders though. They do work, but when i turn slowly i get solid one step increments for a few clicks - and then a sudden jump of about 20 steps. There is no difference when using the main encoder.

But besides from that, tweaking really has a better feel now. :smile:

Edited by jrp

• 4 weeks later...

An update is very easy: install MIOS Studio (if not done yet): http://www.ucapps.de/mios_studio.html

Connect MIDI IN/OUT of your MB6582 to your computer, open MIOS Studio, select the MIDI interface, try the bidirectional communication with the "Query" button.

If working, first upload the new MIOS V1.9h version, thereafter the new MIDIBox SID application.

Both are linked in this posting:

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

My initial impressions are that this is loads better than before- Very nicely done indeed! :)

Yes, I read it, and think it makes sense to change the behaviour, so that incoming CC values will also be stored in the edit buffer.

Only value changes caused by ModWheel, Velocity, Aftertouch, Knobs and Wavetable shouldn't be stored.

It will be an option which is enabled by default (because I guess that most people will like it), and could be disabled in setup_*.asm (for the minority who doesn't like it).

In addition, I will add a "CC dump request" which will allow to synchronize a MBNG with the current patch CCs.

Behaviour of SHIFT button will be configurable as well, and switched back to the original "slow" switching like in pre-42 releases.

Back to topic: help to find best matching speed parameters, please! ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Not to pester but Just wondering if you also added this option to that firmware build? (just in case I missed it!)

• 8 months later...

Wow, much better! I like the new feeling very much. Thanks for that. For me speed_par 1 is best. Almost full 360 degree turn when I turn fast. As most of my encoders are set to the middle value and I deviate from that, this is enough for me. A tad slower even could be nice, but this is already a big improvement.

Edited by wackazong