SEQ4 Heidenreich Case Bulk 2014 / 2015

kristal=

Current status is:

• I received permission from Wilba to use his frontpanel design.
  • I'm in contact with Roelli figuring out the right approach to this bulk.
  • Haven't contacted Heidenreich yet, in a week I know more.

• The measurements of the shipping box are 590 x 290 x 140 mm, so either shipping with:
  • DHL Päckchen bis 2 kg International mit Service Nachweis 17.90€ (only tracking, no insurance, 35€ damage refund) CN22 custom form
  • or DHL Paket bis 5 kg International 16.99€ - 42.99€ (full insurance with tracking) CN23 custom form 
  • case comes with blank back panel, rubber feet, uniform color black (~ 75€-90€)
  • front panel costs: with 2 LCD windows at frontpanels.de (~ 170€, Roelli mentioned a 20-30% discount compared to Schaeffer)
  • front panel costs: with 2 LCD windows at Schaeffer (184€ + 2 x 20,42€ excl. shipping and verifying against the CS PCB)
  • uniform front panel design for reduced complexity (holes for screws, colored engraving, see pics)
  • handling fee (~ 15€ gas, package, time)
  • PayPal conversion fees: € -> € 1.9%; other currencies -> €: 5.5% on my end price
  • no milled back panel, only a blank one for your own design (a milled can be later purchased from Roelli with a 30% discount compared to Schaeffer)
  • no breakout board for the MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 PCB is needed, SmashTV's MIDI_I/O Module PCB will do the job. Ethernet via MBHP_ETH.
  • breakout board for the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 PCB is needed (either design your own or join/create a bulk for a PCB)

post-7120-0-12881200-1401902022_thumb.jp

post-7120-0-19777300-1401907252_thumb.jp

Edited by kristal=

Current status is:

• Received notice from Heidenreich & frontpanels.de
  • Prices are: 85EUR per case with MOQ of 10 cases, 4-5 weeks manufacturing time, holidays 4. - 22. Aug. 2014
  • I have received prices for 10 frontpanels from Roelli, but I haven't answered him yet and I'm not sure, if we can get 10 FP on the first run. However, it won't get more costly than 170EUR per panel. I'll reply when I'm finished with my non-midibox activities.
  • Just waiting for 10 participants so we can get this bulk started. An order page with the exact details for the bulk will be provided in a ~ week. In the mean time sign up at: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=seq4_aluminium_case_and_frontpanel_2014
Edited by kristal=

Stupid question: How is the front panel secured with the case?

I'm interested in getting one but I'm not quite sure about this. Also I wouldn't know where to get the black screws needed here and which ones are needed.

Also is the mentioned MIDI PCB from SmashTV this one? http://www.midibox-shop.com/quadIIcMIDIR2.html

What about an AOUT option and a back panel?

Stupid question: How is the front panel secured with the case?

See the pic. Plz excuse the dust.

Also I wouldn't know where to get the black screws needed here and which ones are needed.

I use those: http://www.midibox-s...dIIcMIDIR2.html

What about an AOUT option and a back panel? Edited by kristal=

170 euro sounds really steep for the front panel, front panel express charged $180 to do my whole case (front and back panels) so you might want to shop around a bit.  In single quantities, the FPD software has the front panel @ $115 usd which is 85 euro. Not sure why yours is twice as much

*edit

OK, I see where you went wrong.  DO NOT get CNC windows made, that's where your problem is. Get them laser cut, I can get 16 windows for a SEQ on the formular/ponoko A size (the smallest) for $15, on a bigger size it would be even less. I have the template if you want it (I use the same size for my Ambika builds)

Schaeffer/Front panel express are premium services and there are MANY different options out there.  Your Frontpanels.de guys sound like they are competitive, but I still dont get where that price comes from it's twice what it should be.  First person I would talk to is Julian (thebeast), he's an insider here and I am sure with a big job, he could beat out commercial places price wise

Edited by Altitude

Well, FPE wants $223 for the FP without tax and shipping, that's 165EUR. Note that this is Wilba's original FP without slides, if you don't want your panel to fall off the case add 10EUR for slides.

Roelli/frontpanels.de is a Midibox member since 2003, his record speaks for himself: http://www.frontpanels.de/examples/

170EUR is the upper limit - we now have 5 potential buyers for the front panels. If the last 3 participants add 3 FP we see a considerable price drop.

post-7120-0-70003800-1402657732_thumb.jp

Edited by kristal=

My 1-off price on front panels for the Heidenreich is GBP 80 (which comes to 100 euro)

My 1-off price for the rear panels is GBP 35

Im very pleased to see someone organizing a group buy for the cases - indeed, i may be a customer for a few myself, as people ask me about them often, but both in my own interests, and those of potential purchasers of panels, i have to comment as above. 

I hope my post does not offend.  I would wish any group buy luck, but, again, the group buy pricing on the panels is *way* above what i charge for even a single unit.

Edited by julianf

Oh, I see.  You're using the panel with all the work on the back.. You do realize that almost triples the price?  You can do counter sunk through holes for the standoffs and and no counter bore for the displays and you'll be back where I am price wise. 

Here is what one of mine looked like with laser cut windows and through holes for the stand offs (same as what Julien is offering if I am not mistaken)

seq4.JPG

Edited by Altitude
  • Like 2

Okay, this is interesting. What I want: 

• minimal workload for me, collecting huge amounts of money means registering a business with the officials. If the participants would send their money for the FP directly to Julian or Roelli, I would be glad.
  • fair prices - I would like to see both Roelli & Julianf benefiting from this bulk. The goal is: will the participants will save money compared to Schaeffer, yet with the full quality experience?

If the pros (SmashTV & Altitude) could help out with designing a back panel and a breakout board for Ethernet, USB, power switch etc. it be much appreciated. I'm currently busy with the old STM32 option, the STM32F4 PCB isn't in my focus right now. However, TK. mentioned the SEQ4 plus to be rolled out in the next time, therefore the STM32F4 will be necessary.

Find Roelli's price quotation for 10 panels attached.

Angebot Quotation 2014061001.pdf

Edited by kristal=

here is how I do my back panels.  I find it much easier to mount the board directly to the backpanel using the the midi sockets that have three holes as brackets.  Trying to use standoffs and align things on 3 different planes is a bit too fiddly IMHO.  I have the layouts for the STM32 and LPC but not the new one.  Also the SD card holder I like and the 4xIIC midi 

seqback.jpg

Edited by Altitude
  • Like 2

I have just re-read your initial post again - 

• Haven't contacted Heidenreich yet, in a week I know more.

I would suggest waiting to hear first about the enclosures, before going too far on other paths.  I mailed Heidenreich some time back, asking for a quote on 1-off, and received no reply.  This could have been due to any number of reasons, but, as this is the essential part, it may be wise to confirm its availability?

I will post a screen grab of the rear panel i most often cut for people.  It is the same as Wilba's but with the power switch changed to an SCI item (due to people finding the original hard to obtain) and the addition of one extra MIDI port (with the same spacing as the other ports).  

The rear panel is easy enough to customise, but most people in the past seem to be happy with this configuration.  This does, however, not simplify the 3d alignment - as per Altitude's comments above.

I would suggest waiting to hear first about the enclosures, before going too far on other paths.  I mailed Heidenreich some time back, asking for a quote on 1-off, and received no reply.  This could have been due to any number of reasons, but, as this is the essential part, it may be wise to confirm its availability?

They are available, see

Prices are: 85EUR per case with MOQ of 10 cases, 4-5 weeks manufacturing time, holidays 4. - 22. Aug. 2014

I'm just waiting for 3 additional participants to hop on the bulk, maybe you could help filling in the gap?

For the rear panel:

I'm looking forward to see you design, maybe we should start an extra thread for this? Like "STM32F4 rear panel (and breakout board) for TK.'s SEQ4 case"?

It would certainly help maintaining clarity, otherwise necessary posts will be overlooked.

Edited by kristal=

They are available, see 

I am sorry - i missed that.

I'm just waiting for 3 additional participants to hop on the bulk, maybe you could help filling in the gap?

I would like to keep the case in stock (as i say, people have asked over it in the past) but there is always more to spend money on than keeping slow moving stock.

I would be very happy to make up any and all short-fall on the cases (i will keep them in stock for people at a later date), if it is possible for me to generate the required revenue from machining matching panels.  I would be very happy to spend the revenue from any sales (even as 1-off units) on any of your short-fall and keep them in stock for future buyers.  

Even if i make no sales, i would still like some cases for stock, as above, however, then i have to redirect money especially to the purchase, which is always more difficult - so i would try and buy either way, but one way is much easier for me than the other.

I would be very happy to make up any and all short-fall on the cases (i will keep them in stock for people at a later date), if it is possible for me to generate the required revenue from machining matching panels.  I would be very happy to spend the revenue from any sales (even as 1-off units) on any of your short-fall and keep them in stock for future buyers.

I understand. Well, take the 3 cases and keep one for measurements. I'll direct future UK panel buyers to you, so you can finance your expenses.

So is the STM32F4 the best option then?

Yes, the future SEQ4 plus will solely rely on the STM32F4.

I will find photos of the back panel etc. when i am on the other computer.

Looking forward to see them.

Edited by kristal=
  • Like 1

Here is a screen grab of the existing file -

mbseq_desktop_rear_zpsd2887b42.jpg

The changes from Wilba's original are limited to -

• Small adjustments in dimensions to fit the Heidenreich a little more accurately
  • The addition of the extra DIN port
  • The change of the power cut-outs to match more commonly available parts (the round switch is an SCI part, and the jack could be pretty much anything)

I am not familiar with the LPC17 core - if further changes are required, then the files will be edited to accommodate.

I made a new thread where we can discuss the new backpanel design so this thread can stay on topic:

I believe the new back panel will take some pages.

Status update: we have 10 potential case buyers. The bulk can happen in theory.

Edited by kristal=

Oh, I see.  You're using the panel with all the work on the back.. You do realize that almost triples the price?  You can do counter sunk through holes for the standoffs and and no counter bore for the displays and you'll be back where I am price wise.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by this?  I don't understand what the difference is between the two designs, what makes the one under consideration more expensive, and what the cheaper design alternative is.  I don't know what "all the work on the back" means.

Here are two photos to illustrate the above - 

First, a panel with the rear milled for the screen, and also recesses for hex-spacers (wilba originally specified threaded blinds) - 

gallery_5349_7_47442.jpg

Again, this is the *rear* of the panel.

Next is a photo of a panel with no milling on the rear.  The pcb is mounted with bolts from the front of the panel.  This is a much stronger, simpler, cheaper way of producing the panel, but it does mean that you see the bolt heads (in this case, A2 stainless allen cap heads) - 

gallery_5349_7_96431.jpg

For my own, personal, build (where machine time is not really a consideration!) i will use the latter mounting, as i think it is better, but, again, not everyone likes to see the bolt heads.